1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hamburg rooster crowing at night!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by malkered, Mar 12, 2016.

1. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lovely gold pencilled Hamburg rooster called Patch. He is 26 weeks old and has his own little flock of 3 hens.

Recently he has been crowing at night and it seems more so if he sees signs of life from the house.

It is just before 5am and I just had to get up and go downstairs for water, while I was up with the kitchen light on Patch crowed 5 times in quick succession, now the house is in darkness he is quiet again. Is this normal behaviour?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yep, I'm afraid it is - mine used to begin at 3am and continue for a few hours - there were other roos in the neighbourhood so they took it in turns - the wife loved it (not).

CT

3. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    I have a bachelor pad of bantam roos in the garden next to my house, and they do the same thing- if I turn on the light in the kitchen, which faces out that way, they sometimes start crowing, even in the middle of the night! It's a good thing for me my neighbors aren't too close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by