Hampel ultimate chicken coop

jennymacfarlane

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2015
we put our 1st flock in the ultimate chicken coop about 2 months ago. 2 weeks later they were all dead killed by a possum in brooklyn. we made some reinforcements to the design, specifically the area where the run cover meets the coop and raised another flock of birds. these guys did not last a week. we have 9 dead chickens and a totally useless coop. stay far far away form this coop. it is very easy for predators to get in. ill be posting photos and more details soon. i want to make sure every single person who thinks about buying this coop knows of this serious design flaw. we are devastated and heartbroken. we have reached out to the company and have not heard anything back. its a shame. i would hope they would want to hear about our experience so they could improve the design and offer us a refund. its devastating to lose 2 whole flocks in such a short period of time and especially after all the hard work of raising them

Oh my gosh...! How hideous for you...so VERY sorry this happened!
So many times here we see people asking about various pre-made coops/runs. Buyers believe what the packaging says, and/or the pretty pictures of happy chickens in the structures.
Unfortunately, the sellers are in business for one thing...to make money as cheaply as possible. They will say "can house up to eight chickens" or some-such with a tiny little coop that you MIGHT want to hold 2 hens in. It's understandable that the consumer would expect whatever it says/shows on the carton or display to be accurate. And I've never seen anything on the box that indicates you might want to use extra materials to predator proof. Or anything about predators for that matter.
However, (and welcome to the group, sorry it's under such a horrible start) there are a lot of really good ideas here for making a coop and run. Some are pretty cheap, too...just ordinary people putting together their own plan with free/scrounged/pallet types of wood.
Good luck with trying to get the company to do what's right. I'm sure that some of them do. And please do post the pictures and show us which one you got. Some people here may have some really good suggestions for reinforcing the current coop against future attacks.
Again, so sorry! If you still want to keep chickens, and I hope you do, then carry on. You can recover from this, and experience the joys after you get past this bad part!
:hit :hugs:hugs:hugs

I've never heard of that brand before. I have also never seen any pre-fabricated coop that is predator proof or even remotely has enough space for the amount of birds they advertise. There may be a good one out there some where but I haven't seen it, yet. IMHO, your best bet would be to build one yourself from plans here. It's not that hard, you don't have to be a rocket scientist.
I'm so sorry for your losses.
Please don't let it discourage you into not keeping chickens, the joy that chickens bring are worth the little bit of pain of losing some now and then.
Hang in there and Good Luck!
:love:hugs:fl:thumbsup

So sorry your chickens were taken in such a horrible way. Hopefully you will get some good ideas and be able to built one that is truly predator proof, or at least reasonably so. It will take a while to research and built right, so don't rush it. (Many of us have bought the chicks then had a hard time getting the coop built in time) I'm glad you joined, and hope you find what you need here.

Back
Top Bottom