Hampton, Virginia considering new ordinance

nativeplanter

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 19, 2007
On Monday, December 10, the Neighborhood Commission of the City of Hampton VA will be discussing a proposed change to the city's ordinances to allow the keeping of chickens (not roosters). Currently, chickens may only be kept if they are located at least 175 feet away from your neighbors house (which makes it so that most people can't have them). I do not know the details of what might be proposed other than that roosters wouldn't be allowed.

The commission meeting has a public comment period at the beginning, before the agenda items. Anyone who is a resident of Hampton, VA can come and speak for 5 minutes. If you can't attend the meeting, you can email your neighborhood commissioner. Or you could do both!

Information regarding the Neighborhood Commission and contact information for the commissioners is located at http://www.hampton.gov/neighborhoods/commission.html.

The meeting will be in the Community Development Department on the 5th floor of City Hall at 4:30 pm on Monday, December 10. City Hall is at 22 Lincoln Street. The meeting is usually at 6:00, but it was changed this month to be at 4:30.

Note that the Commission does not enact ordinances themselves, but discusses them to make recommendations to City Council.

I urge anyone who lives in Hampton and is interested in the subject to attend the meeting or contact the Neighborhood Commission before Monday. You don't have to want to own chickens to comment - input from people who think their neighbors should be allowed to have chickens would also be valuable towards getting the ordinance changed.

If you have any friends or relatives in Hampton, VA, please let them know!

Hello Native planter, How did it turn out i havent been following the laws for Hampton. I have been following the laws for Portsmouth and Chesapeake and Chesapeake just approved hens. Portsmouth voted unanimously to begin trying to set regulations. I posted a petition on another thread that I would humbly ask anyone who is willing to help to sign. Thankyou and good luck in your city.

You guys might want to check with the folks over at Hampton Roads Hens. I think there are a few Hampton people on there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamptonroadshens/?fref=ts
Thanks alot!! I never would have found this page.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom