Hamsters! Hamsters!

Chickenwingwing

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
East Coast
Hi everyone! I just got a hamster named Boba! She is a long haired Syrian!
She lives in a 660 sq in bin cage and is going to be upgraded to a 1,050 sq in DIY soon! I thought I’d make a thread for hamster owners, as other hamster forums are much less active! Feel free to post anything!
Boba:
0661AED1-5742-46E9-BFC2-95D9FE403730.jpeg

74FF2FD2-31EB-41E0-8B27-F11B081DC0FE.jpeg

Hi everyone! I just got a hamster named Boba! She is a long haired Syrian!
She lives in a 660 sq in bin cage and is going to be upgraded to a 1,050 sq in DIY soon! I thought I’d make a thread for hamster owners, as other hamster forums are much less active! Feel free to post anything!
Boba:
View attachment 2725038
View attachment 2725045
I had a guinea pig years ago…
💗so cute!

I love hamsters! I want to get a robo some day.
This is how I would want to set up his or her enclosure
View attachment 2725416
Wow! That's an amazing setup! I'm currently in the process of DIYing Boba a larger cage, and when it's done, I'd like to make it look like that one! I love natural themed hamster cages, but I can't use wooden wheels because Boba pees while she runs! :lau

I'm so angry at companies like Petsmart/Tiny Tales who make tiny hamster cages! They know that the cages are horrible for hamsters and overpriced, yet they still make them and recommend them for GERBILS!! Gerbils+plastic=NO!! The cages barely give them enough space to turn around, and they are nearly impossible to clean! :mad: They know that their designs have killed many hamsters, but they clearly care more about attracting kids and getting money than animals' welfare!

I'm so angry at companies like Petsmart/Tiny Tales who make tiny hamster cages! They know that the cages are horrible for hamsters and overpriced, yet they still make them and recommend them for GERBILS!! Gerbils+plastic=NO!! The cages barely give them enough space to turn around, and they are nearly impossible to clean! :mad: They know that their designs have killed many hamsters, but they clearly care more about attracting kids and getting money than animals' welfare!
Finally, someone that agrees!!
And the rabbit cages are awful too!

I've been signing petitions and things to get them to stop.

They made a playpen-like enclosure and they didn't call it a cage since little cages are becoming less popular. But it's like $100 or more for this cheap, flimsy, and tiny cage and you have to pay extra for a top (which is necessary since it's so short). You could get a nice, good quality, large playpen from amazon for $30.
Its intended for Guinea pigs and rabbits. Their hamster cages are still awful.

Finally, someone that agrees!!
And the rabbit cages are awful too!

I've been signing petitions and things to get them to stop.

They made a playpen-like enclosure and they didn't call it a cage since little cages are becoming less popular. But it's like $100 or more for this cheap, flimsy, and tiny cage and you have to pay extra for a top (which is necessary since it's so short). You could get a nice, good quality, large playpen from amazon for $30.
Its intended for Guinea pigs and rabbits. Their hamster cages are still awful.
Basically, every single cage on the market marketed for hamsters is unsuitable. Even the Prevue 528 is for guinea pigs (?). Their (prevue's) hamster cages are horrible. It's an obvious problem that small animal owners have to DIY/ modify enclosures to make them suitable for their pets. It shouldn't be hard to find a cage that requires no DIY/ modification. There should be cages that are made for the animal and work for the animal. We shouldn't have to use IKEA Wardrobes as cages. Companies making small enclosures are the reason people view hamsters as disposable toys anyway...:idunno

Back
Top Bottom