hand feeding lame chick?

sumu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Help please... i have a 5 day old chick who can't walk. The other two are fine and running around. He seems healthy enough and will cheep loudly when he tries to move. I don't think it's disease but he fell from about 3 or 4 inches while hatching. I give him water and keep him at 95 degrees or so but want to feed him. Will chicks take "baby food" like other baby birds? I don't want to just let him die without trying something.

try dipping his beak in raw egg yolk, adding electrolytes(sav-a-chick) to the water and/or nutridrench for poultry. if he won't eat the egg yolk gently open his beak and place a single drop at a time right in the very front of his beak. be careful, chick asiperate easily. also make sure he doesn't get to warm sitting underneath the heat lamp all the time, move him to the outskirts of the heat lamp everyonce in awhile so he can 'cool' off. :fl hope you little guy gets better, but sadly sometimes despite our best efforts, some chicks just don't thrive.

Oh thanks! I didn't think of raw yolk, but of course that stands to reason. He is out of the direct heat for now and took some drops of water this morning. I look more closely at his leg and it seems to be curled/folded inward. I will try and hobble him as well.
thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom