Hand rearing quail questions

Paigey

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Hi
i want to buy day old bobwhite quails and hand rear them until old enough and then give them to someone who lives on a plot
will they be ok?
hmm.png

If you mean to hand raise them to tame them down, then let them live free range, they will more than likely not stay around. They don't really coop up like chickens nor stick to any specific homeland.
I believe they are wandered and just forage around for food

Bobwhites will never really tame down. They're beautiful to look at but you'll always be the food monster and that's about it. Make sure where ever they are being kept the ceiling is flush safe because they'll flush pretty often. Try to warn them that you are approaching to minimize that.

My breeders are like chickens when you're in the pen with them...they walk all around you and between your feet. Let them out and they'll hang around until you approach them and they're gone like the wind.

I raised northerns for 2 years. By the end of the first they stopped trying to kill themselves to get away, but touch them without a net or without trapping them in the dark house? Not a chance.

Back
Top Bottom