hand watering chick- just died

ScottsChickenz!

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
West Burlington
Very sad. He was weak from the start. I was trying to keep him hydrated, gave him some poly-visol. He seemed to be getting weaker. I gave him water and some pasted chick starter to try and give him some strength. I put him back in a washcloth donut I made for him to keep warm.

He began to open his mouth to breath and started to lift his head up and down. I went to look up this behavior online and when I came back he wasn't breathing. I am very sad, He became my favorite chicks. I am afraid I caused this by improper feeding. The last time I gave him water he was struggling to breath and the water came out of his nostrils.

He was weak from the start, because I had so much trouble keeping my home-made bator at the right levels,but I had hope for him.

I am hoping the the Giant red Cochin will get stronger. He moves around, but keeps his eyes closed and hasn't eaten on his own yet.

I am so sorry. I know how you are feeling. I am losing my chick right now the same way. My feed store gave her to me a couple days ago because she wasn't doing well. I discovered she was blind but I suspect other problems now too. I have been feeding and watering her but she is losing the battle. I wish I was stronger and a better chicken owner so I could help her and not let her suffer, but I can't. I know these things happen but it is still so very sad. I hope your other chick perks up.

sad.png
I'm so sorry!

Back
Top Bottom