Hand well pump

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
does anyone have or installed a hand pump? i want to get one for emergencies and when we go into a depression. I want one that wont freeze and can handle deep wells. Any thoughts or ideas, i would be using a well point (any tips?) If you have one, tell me what it is how it works, and if you installed it. Anything you know about them would help, i am kinda confused. Thanks! Hope that makes sense
tongue.png

Quote:
I have an old fashion hand pump in my back up well. The well is just a hand dug well, but has a good water supply. Mine will catch in really cold weather, but I need to use a little water to prime it anyway, so a small amount of warm water will thaw it enough to work.

If you live in an area that the ground freezes, there is a pump called a frost free hydrant. You don't pump them, you lift the handle and the water flows out. Closing the handle causes the water in the pipe to recede below the frost level. This type of pump doesn't require priming.

Looks like you have found a few. A search for deep well manual water pump should bring up several choices. I know Oasis brand has a model that will pump over 100 feet of depth.

I was going to post the bison well website- I've been thinking about this for the barn well for years. (Yes, I'm a procrastinator:p)

They say you can get one for a deep well as well as a dug well. Ours if 500 feet, but the static level in the well is actually generally about 20-30 feet. Our well guy did say, though, it would add to the cost of pulling the regular well pump for replacement or repair since the hand pump would have to be pulled up, too.

Back
Top Bottom