Handgun Question

Ruger single six in .22 and .22wmr. Very safe cause it's single action and it has versatility. Can shoot .22 shorts, .22 long, .22 long rifle, and .22 wmr. Or like me keep it loaded with bb caps and you can shoot at gophers without making a noise louder than clapping your hands. Later get a Henry lever in .22 and you have a matching set. Just dont ever put wmr in that one.
wink.png

It goes without saying that safety course and some time at the range are a must, for safety and enjoyment. You'll have a lot of fun I guarantee.

NYboy. With out doubt a gun safety course is first. You can talk to the instructors and they will steer you in the right direction. Second you being in NY you must apply for a pistol permit. It can take up to 6 months to obtain. The permit may be tough to get in White Plains. But if I remember correctly you have a place in Dutchess county. In Dutchess county you can get a full carry permit but it will still take many months to get. Good luck.

Thank you everyone. Before I do anything I always do lots of research. Gun safety course would be one of the first things I would do. I was thinking about a handgun because of coyotes. They are very bold here attacking both adults and kids. My yard has a 4 foot chain link fence around it. For years, before coyotes moved into the area it kept my dogs safe. My dogs are about 20 pounds no match for a coyote that jumps the fence. I now have to be outside anytime my dogs are. what has me freaked ,is the next door neighbor found his cat eaten 10 feet from his house. The coyote didn't grab and run. It was bold enough to eat it right in the yard. I do have bear mace, but was thinking of a small gun only to be used up close in case of attack in front of me.

Actually I'm thinking of getting one too for the same reason. I've taken a course previously and owned various guns but will take the course again and probably get a 9 mil pistol.

Can you legally shoot in the yard where you live? Don't get yourself in trouble, not worth loss of freedom.

Also if you can shoot and you're after coyote, I strongly recommend a rifle instead.

If you can legally shoot on your property a shotgun loaded with buckshot may be your best bet,If you do see a coyote and he is close enough to shoot he will probably be leaving the area on the run,If you have lots of open space and clear shooting a 22-250 or maybe a 17 caliber would be good,Its all according to the circumstances,,but by all means,,like almost everyone suggested,,take a gun training course before you buy any kind of gun,as you allready know,,theirs lots more to owning a gun than just having one,,,good luck

i agree with tomg. U need to start out with a longer gun and if you cant start out with one that is a single shot and has a hammer. good practice would be starting out with a bb pistol. Good practice for targets. I would then update to .22 pistol.

if you are using it for coyotes i would definately get a single shot 223. it is very safe, accurate, easy to use, no kick, and it is strong enough to kill a coyote from a long way away. If i were you in this situation i would get the 223

Get a long gun for predators. When you need to shoot quick and accurately, a long gun is 100 easier than a hand gun if you don't have hours of practice in. Hand guns are better for daily carry self defense after you take all the safety and training classes. Plus, the stigma of hand guns runs high in many communities, so if there was some issue that came with the result of shooting something, the reaction isn't going to be as strong.

Back
Top Bottom