Handgun Question

If you have never touched a gun you should first buy a long gun. That being said, if you are going to buy a handgun and are new to shooting, buy a single action revolver. A single action needs to have the hammer pulled back for each shot. I own several guns. If I'm taking someone out that is new to guns I leave the semi auto pistols at home. Semi auto guns are ready to fire again after each shot until the clip is empty. To many times I've seen people get excite about their shot and turn around to talk and forget about the aim of the gun.
The above is about safety. If your question was more about caliber, brand, cost of ammo, or accuracy... please repost and let us know.

A revolver would be the simplest to load and maintain. What caliber depends on the reason for owning a gun. I like my little 22 cal. rough rider single action for plinking, and my husband carries a 45 mag for bear protection while in the woods.

At the barest minimum, make sure to get some good guidence on gun safety at a range and practice, practice, practice. I strongly recommend a gun safety course for everyone - even those who have no desire to own a gun for self-defense.

Quote:
Take the course and you will be able to try out several types. Then decide what works best for you.

A revolver is the safest, simplest to learn.

First though, it would help to know what the purpose for the gun will be, since that will determine what's best

Last edited:
Contact a local range, or shooting club. Most are willing to teach safety, and handleing. And you can try (and learn) different guns. I'm a firm believer guns are tools, NOT toys. All were designed for a singular purpose, but some do it alot better then others, and each action type has it's pros and cons. They have to be LEARNED to be used effectively, and safely.

Good Luck.

TNT

Back
Top Bottom