1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Handgun Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NYboy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    What handgun for someone who has never touch a gun?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

A gun safety course and decide from there.

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    bb gun

4. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    If you have never touched a gun you should first buy a long gun. That being said, if you are going to buy a handgun and are new to shooting, buy a single action revolver. A single action needs to have the hammer pulled back for each shot. I own several guns. If I'm taking someone out that is new to guns I leave the semi auto pistols at home. Semi auto guns are ready to fire again after each shot until the clip is empty. To many times I've seen people get excite about their shot and turn around to talk and forget about the aim of the gun.
    The above is about safety. If your question was more about caliber, brand, cost of ammo, or accuracy... please repost and let us know.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    A revolver would be the simplest to load and maintain. What caliber depends on the reason for owning a gun. I like my little 22 cal. rough rider single action for plinking, and my husband carries a 45 mag for bear protection while in the woods.

At the barest minimum, make sure to get some good guidence on gun safety at a range and practice, practice, practice. I strongly recommend a gun safety course for everyone - even those who have no desire to own a gun for self-defense.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:1000X

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Take the course and you will be able to try out several types. Then decide what works best for you.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A revolver is the safest, simplest to learn.

First though, it would help to know what the purpose for the gun will be, since that will determine what's best

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Start with a gun handling and safety course.

10. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Contact a local range, or shooting club. Most are willing to teach safety, and handleing. And you can try (and learn) different guns. I'm a firm believer guns are tools, NOT toys. All were designed for a singular purpose, but some do it alot better then others, and each action type has it's pros and cons. They have to be LEARNED to be used effectively, and safely.

Good Luck.

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by