Handled With Care Farm and Rabbitry's First Hatch-A-Long!

would be pleased too they are so gorgeous all the EEs are so colourful the quail are so sweet my daugthers love your pics the crazy bout the quail. i stagger my hatches so there is no real lock down here the bator is opened on a schedule. i get problems but they leg splay mainly and even commercial hatcheries experience about the same amount bout 4 in 100 i have had no egg explosions i candle before the eggs before they go in to check shell quality i must admit i dont candle during the incubation period 100 eggs is time consuming, i figure they good heat sinks and i manual turn so inspect the eggs a few times a day anyway. i have the last few chicks hatching at the moment lol cant tell what they are but i can hear them crashing around and a couple of the eggs that i can see are trying to unzip. the annual australian sussex club auction is on next week the last lot of eggs i will be doing this year if all goes well. its hard to think eggs when theres live birds there too but a couple of people i hatch for are going too so i will be incubating something for someone.

Two more EE this morning bringing the total to 14. We also have two silkies hatched out under our broodies. There is new life everywhere on our farm right now. Two rabbits are nesting and will be giving birth in two days or so while another ten will be due from a week to two weeks from now.
Everyone on our Facebook is like "chicks are cute but where are the bunnies?" and I think I'm more excited about the chicks :p I am just really happy to have a working incubator that I don't have to turn manually or constantly refill with water or lose three dozen turkey eggs to a temp spike! All of that makes me very pleased to see our fluffy chicks every day. They're a promise of a great Spring hatch next year!
Still waiting on guineas of course and here's one more picture of one of the new two EE chicks. Excuse the quality I pulled it from Facebook.

Last edited:
Two more EE this morning bringing the total to 14. We also have two silkies hatched out under our broodies. There is new life everywhere on our farm right now. Two rabbits are nesting and will be giving birth in two days or so while another ten will be due from a week to two weeks from now.
Everyone on our Facebook is like "chicks are cute but where are the bunnies?" and I think I'm more excited about the chicks
tongue.png
I am just really happy to have a working incubator that I don't have to turn manually or constantly refill with water or lose three dozen turkey eggs to a temp spike! All of that makes me very pleased to see our fluffy chicks every day. They're a promise of a great Spring hatch next year!
Still waiting on guineas of course and here's one more picture of one of the new two EE chicks. Excuse the quality I pulled it from Facebook.

Congrats on your success...

i am pleased to see things went well for you...

that is one might fit looking chick....

nice bator also...

thumbsup.gif

yay your silkies hatched you have post pic when momma brings them out. 14 EEs thats a good size group theres got to be several hens at least hope you get at least 10 girls. In the group that hatched here last there is one porcelain araucana from a pair that i havent used before i think they are mum and son i brought at auction the same time i brought a white duccle hen who is throwing millies. another breeder and i thought she was porcelain and i penned her with porcelains and ended up with millies matt1jsh would have seen them posted on his thread ( hi matt1jsh) will post a pic of this hatch they a bit of of a mix hope i dont have trouble mixing them with their breed groups down the track. i was going to ask about the bunnies it is in the thread title we cant really have bunnies in oz our government has released diseases to stop the spread of the feral rabbit population but its transmitted by mosquitoes i know a breeder who have lost all his breeding stock this year he supplies to the local produce too. nugget is his line of white silkie although i think he his focusing on reds or buffs now.

this is the other tub brooder theres a large brooder in the shed too but those guys are are bigger and will have to move so all of these can go in there . its an old type comercial brooder the label says for 150 chicks but i would never put that many in it. i have it inside a very large clothing cupboard thats laying on its back and still has its doors and locks its so super efficent set up and its safe.

Wow look at those happy little babies! I have a few pics of the silkies and a few updates!
We have eleven silkies so far, all vaulted and bearded. We have sixteen EE chicks and had one Australorp hatch as well! I've added some pics of the little silkies, the EE with a few of the bigger silkie babies and one silkie chick on the head of our young LGD Max.

Soooo gorgeous all vaulted and bearded i so jealous I don't get a lot of vaulted ones nuggets gf is. The 2nd pic is amazing that's a calender pic if every I saw one. How good is your dog that a great pic too. Congads on your silkie there adorable.

Back
Top Bottom