Handling Chicks

Quote:
Some breeds are more like that than others. Keep handling them but know that they may not ever be SUPER friendly toward you. The older they get and the more they get used to you holding them the better they should feel about you.

Try giving them treats from your hands so your hand isn't a threat to them. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

When you first put your hand in the cage have some scratch in it. That way they wont get so scared when your hand is near them and soon they will let you pick them up!
smile.png
JUst be pacient with them.

If you reach straight down into the brooder to try to grab them it looks like a predatory move. Instead try putting you hand in the brooder a little away from them and then let them see you moving towards them. This worked for me last year. Treats also helps the hand look friendly.
wink.png

A big human hand coming in over their heads to scoop them up looks like a big bird of prey. I keep my fingers closed and slide my hand down the side of the brooder wall and tap gently with my finger nails. They come running every time to see what "mom" is pecking at. Gradually, I put a finger out and start rubbing their little chest or back. They get used to you and your attention when you start slow and let them come to you first.

Putting the food in my hand and taping my fingernail making a pecking sound worked great within 2 min i had three eating out of my hand before that they wouldnt even get close

It's really best not to handle your babies much at that young of age. They are very frail and you wouldn't want to risk injuring them anyway. I agree--bribe them with treats to bond with thme until they get a little bigger and sturdier.
smile.png

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I have a very different opinion than journey11 about the amount of handling. I handled most of mine a lot last year as soon as I got them (about 3 - 4 days old). The ones I handled a lot are the ones that are friendliest. The ones I handled the least amount are not as friendly. I have a Buff Orpington that is not very friendly. Everyone says they are very friendly and so I did not hold her much as a chick. I spent my time handling some of the other instead. I suspect this may be why she is not very friendly now.

Back
Top Bottom