Handling Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Texas Fluffy Feet, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Out of curiousity, how much should young chicks be handled? When I was a kid we had laying hens and I remember my Mom never let me hold any of the chicks. I also remember that none of them were what I would call pet friendly when they grew up. They only came to you for food and then it was toss it and run or risk getting your fingers pecked off.
    We will be getting some little banties very soon and I know my daughter will want to hold them every chance she gets. While I know Mom must have had a good reason to not let me hold any chicks, I don't know what it was other than maybe they would poop all over me or she was afraid I would hold one to long and cause it to overheat or something. My kiddo has been around small animals since the day she was born and I have no worries over her holding one and handling it gently.

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I would think she can handle them gently. They will be more handle-able later. The reason your mom didn't let you is probably salmonella. So just make sure your daughter doesn't put her hands near her mouth until they are thoroughly washed.

3. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I would guess it was a sanitation issue with your mom. My older kids are allowed to hold the chicks but they have to wash thoroughly before and after. We have some waterless hand sanitizer by the brooder.

With my younger kids, I hold the chicks in my hands and let them "pet" the chicks with a finger or two or they put their hands around my hands to "hold" them. Then more hand washing.

I'll add that I try to limit holding time to about twice a day. We're still dealing with pasting bums and I don't want to stress out the chicks any more than necessary.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I find that my 15 just don't like handled. It is a different story when it comes to changing litter, feeding and watering. They crawl all over my hands and up my arm. They don't seem to be afraid as long as I am not reaching over them. Mine are very friendly. John

5. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks for the advice. We of course will do lots of hand washing both before and after handling. I will also set down ground rules for a 'holding time" each day with her.

I have to tell you a funny story though. My little one is 4 almost 5 years old now and she is terribly excited about the chickens coming. She has donated her old playhouse to become our hen house and thus knows her input is very important in the whole deal. I came in the room where our computer is the other night and she and my hubby were looking at one of the hatchery sites at pictures of different chickens. She informed me that we had to get a Buff Bantam because they just looked so cute and fluffy and she planned to teach that chicken to mop our floor with it's fluffy tail and feet by holding treats for it. [​IMG]

I cracked up! I told her if she could train a chicken to clean the floor and not mess on it we were going into the chicken business ourselves. Anyone wanna place an order?! LOL [​IMG]

6. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    cute story!!!!! Make sure you post pics of the new babies!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by