Handling chicks

smitty750

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bethel
We take our 2 week old chicks out once a day for about 30 minutes, every time I put them back they pass out so I'm assuming 30 minutes is good. My question is how often per day should we handle them? And how many times per day should we handle them? I want then to be as friendly and "happy" to be with people as possible. I'd like them to be comfortable sitting in our laps etc etc.

I personally don't think you can handle them too much. Mine I handle 3 times a day for maybe 10-15 min max. They are now 5 weeks old. They are super friendly and love everyone.

Not chicks, but my 2 ducklings are on my lap, or torso, at the moment and my laptop on my legs. They've been here for about 30 mins.
We went out and played in the yard a bit and then on the deck for a bit today. They are a week old.

When I raised my chicks last year, they would sit with me to watch tv for a bit one at a time. I had 3, so easy to do. With the ducklings, can't leave one behind, so they are both on me snuggled up on me.

I got mine yesterday and they completely panic everytime they see me. I've been trying to give them some time to settle in. Tomorrow I'm going to start taking them out for about 15 minutes at a time and see how they do.

Last edited:
Mine are also a little skittish. I need to find more time and start holding each one for at least 10 mins a day. I have four LOL

Mine love being out but not to keen on me picking them up. What are some good treats for them at 2 weeks old? So far they like mealworms, pecked at lettuce but didn't eat it. What is everyone else doing?

Mine loved tomatoes and broccoli stems. They also picked all the seeds clean off the center of a bell pepper.

My first chicks never liked being handled and then they got even more skittish when we put the guineas in with them. The guineas panic any time you come close to them and then everyone else panics too. My new baby chicks aren't so frightened though, they love to be held. I think a lot of it may have to do with individuality of the chicks.

Edited to say my babies are ALL not very fond of my husband :p
Guess they just like momma best.

Last edited:
Mine love being out but not to keen on me picking them up. What are some good treats for them at 2 weeks old? So far they like mealworms, pecked at lettuce but didn't eat it. What is everyone else doing?
Scrambled eggs are big hit with our chicks - as are earthworms (oh, the "grab and chase" that takes place when we bring in worms). They also love zuchinni and cucumber (they "share" with my veggie eating fish because I always have a decent chunk left after feeding the tanks) and tomato has been well received.

Our girls are ridiculously social - anytime you open the top to the brooder you are guaranteed to have at least six of them in your face (having flown out and landed on the screen) looking for attention - one of the buff orps is the most insistent as she will get up on your shoulder and sit so she can preen your hair. They will be 5 weeks this week. We've been very hands on since we brought them home - and even spend time just sitting and "being" with them vs. actually touching, holding, etc. Often letting them come to you or initiate the attention is better received and can help to get a skittish bird over the fear of being handled.

Ok thanks. I tried grapes and a strawberry and they weren't thrilled. Maybe I'll try tomato and broccoli. Ol grey mare do you have freshwater or saltwater fish?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom