Handling

From what I understand, chicks should be left alone for the first 24 hours of receiving (or hatching, of course). Their change of place is stress enough for the first day.
After that, it is all right to handle them (picking up from underneath, chicks are very afraid of things coming from above them) one or two times a day. And only for a few minutes at first.
Once they are a bit bigger, a week or so, you should be able to handle them quite a bit, tho, again, careful not to stress them.
After that, I pretty much play with them whenever I want to. Mostly, I like to snuggle them in the space under my chins and speak softly to them.
Now my chooks are almost 6 weeks old, they think I am one of them, and they hardly pay me any attention at all, I am such a normal part of their life out in the new coop. Well, unless I bring treats, lol!

Enjoy the babies!
Bright Blessings

If you want them to be relaxed in your hands (I mean really relaxed, they'll probably go to sleep), go to my BYC page. I tame without using treats so that they are less likely to peck hands when they are bigger. Mine are too big to get into my hands now, they jump on my lap for snuggling but here's a picture when they were smaller:
55921_022.jpg

Quote:
Good advice on your BYC page! I've been handling mine several times a day since I got them 4 days ago. All I have to do now is walk up to their bin and say, "Hello there little peepers" and they look up at me in anticipation. Just melts my heart every time.
love.gif

Quote:
Good advice on your BYC page! I've been handling mine several times a day since I got them 4 days ago. All I have to do now is walk up to their bin and say, "Hello there little peepers" and they look up at me in anticipation. Just melts my heart every time.
love.gif

I'm so glad its helping; I'm taming baby pheasants that we hatched last Saturday and Sunday. This morning I had my hand in the brooder and one of them stepped up in my palm and laid down for a nap! So cute!

Back
Top Bottom