Hands down, what is a chickens FAVORITE food/treat/scraps?

The gooey seedy part of cantalopes. Mine also go crazy for left over rice. In fact they run across the whole 2 acres if i throw rice.
lol.png

I think some of it depends on your chickens. I was told they love peanut hearts- I have a bag if anyone wants it:/ They also will eat cracked corn, but it isn't a favorite. They seem to hate flax seed.

Our absolute favorite of all time is spaghetti. Second favorite is yogurt. They also like- to a lesser extent- sunflower seeds and whole crimped oats. We have yet to try melons, but we will once they are in season.

Oh, worms are really up there, too, especially now that they aren't allowed to free range because of the fox. My SO spends an inordinate amount of time digging worms out of our garden for the girls. (depleting my garden in the meantime:( We have to start a worm bin!)

String Cheese - hands down! Even the ducks fight to get some.
Mine are strange - they don't like worms. I dig up nice juicy ones and all of them act like it's a snake or some horrid disgusting thing and let the poor worm just lay there squirming till they escape or dry up. Ducks love them though. hehe
Scrambled eggs, pasta, peas.
smile.png

Catfood, but it's not good for them. I think that's why they love it, because they aren't suppsed to have it They steal the barn cat's food whenever they can!
Our peahen started this...she's just nuts about dry catfood...even knows the WORD catfood!
barnie.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

First timer here with 8 week old chicks. After reading a few pages of this post I went out with some leftover rice and a banana. The rice they didn't know what to make of... we'll see if it's still there in a little while. But the banana! WOW! They went CRAZY for it! They were chasing each other around trying to steal pieces of it. That was absolutely Hilarious!! I will definitely have to try the bag of 50 crickets too!

ok, another question however. I read everyone writing things about how their chickens eat everything... is there anything that my chickens should NOT eat?

Thanks!

Jill
Avocado is one of the things chickens should definetely NOT eat. They also shouldn't eat garlic and onion, and they generally don't go for lemons and citrus fruits which won't kill them anyway, but are acidic. Strange that your chickens go for bannana. Ours hate it, and will only sometimes peck at the small pieces on the bannana peel. Oh, and crickets! I am sure you'll find that the crickets are a real favourite with the chicks! They are also sure to love grasshoppers as well, if they can catch them!

Back
Top Bottom