Hands down, what is a chickens FAVORITE food/treat/scraps?

Mine love:
Grapes.
Parsley.
Basil.
Thyme.
Corn/Scratch Food.
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
Weeds.
And just about anything else I throw to them from the garden/kitchen.
Haven't wasted veggie scraps in a long time.

Quote:
I believe chickens aren't affected by the "hot" in peppers when they eat them. I've read that here plus heard it around the auction barn.

My ex had a "funny" story about a chicken they had that ate so many hot peppers it make it's meat hot. He would totally crack up when telling it. I never even cracked a smile and I have a great sense of humor. Guess that's part of why he's an "ex" lol.

It depends on the chicken, but most tend to like mealworms, and yogurt seems to be a favourite. Egg yolk - although it seems odd, most chickens absolutely love it (but make sure it's cooked, or you're encouraging them to eat their own eggs). My chickens also like any melon seeds, and one of them loves mince - beef, lamb, any type, but it shouldn't be too fatty. It's like worms but doesn't take ages to dig up.

Quote:
I believe chickens aren't affected by the "hot" in peppers when they eat them. I've read that here plus heard it around the auction barn.

My ex had a "funny" story about a chicken they had that ate so many hot peppers it make it's meat hot. He would totally crack up when telling it. I never even cracked a smile and I have a great sense of humor. Guess that's part of why he's an "ex" lol.

Chickens have no heat receptors on their tongues, so, no, they can't taste hot things. But they can smell them, and my chickens don't like the smell of chilli powder xD Also, feeding a chicken too many hot peppers will give her diarrhoea which can be very messy! It can also kill off both good and bad bacteria, meaning they can't fight illness as well.

Messy over ripe tomatoes HANDS DOWN!

I'll have the messiest dirties silkies ever when the tomatoes start to over ripen on the vine. When given a choice, they'll tackle each other for that tomato and ignore all the other scraps!
lol.png

watermelon is a big hit, by the time they are done with it it is see through. string cheese is another. bugs are a big hit. but their all time favorite is peanuts! i give them to them in the shell and they have loads of fun cracking them open to get the peanut and it is very fun to watch too
gig.gif

I work in a New Orleans restaurant.

I try my best to re-use almost any food scraps we have.

They LOVE them some watermelon. Any melon, down to the rind.
Also blackberries.

I'm going to try grits and hashbrowns today.

I tried celery and green onions, they didn't take to them well.

-Pete

Back
Top Bottom