Hands on hatching and help

During the first 18 days I tried to keep it around 40% and then from lockdown on in the 70%. I think it's probably in the correct position... I've just never had one be pipped without progressing for so long.

I often have pippers that push the 24 mark. That's when I start an assist. If you find a lot of excess fluid in the eggs, I'd drop the humidity 30-35% for the next hatch and watch the air cells.

I often have pippers that push the 24 mark. That's when I start an assist. If you find a lot of excess fluid in the eggs, I'd drop the humidity 30-35% for the next hatch and watch the air cells.

One of my eggs internally pipped roughly 24hrs ago and has not yet pipped externally. I candled it and his beak is still moving inside. Should I assist even if his beak is still moving or should I wait until tonight?

Lost 3 call eggs I was putting water in and quickly candled 3 had no veins or any movement so I put a safety hole in the aircell and just as I thought they were dead. Shame really as two were mid pipping internally and just died. Got one left which is pretty active in there so we shall see I won't hold my breath though I just can't seem to hatch ducks. I have 11 runners and one Aylesbury going into lockdown next weekend so maybe I'll have more luck then
1f614.png

Don't be to hard on yourself. I've found these bantam ducks to be much harder to hatch. I bet your next batch will do much better!

Don't be to hard on yourself. I've found these bantam ducks to be much harder to hatch. I bet your next batch will do much better!
I have one left still in there it's pretty active so we shall see. It's only day 23 ( I think ) so it has plenty of time! Their bills are tiny aren't they I opened one up to see what happened the poor things were so cute. Still having more eggs make it to lockdown with the dry hatch method though so atleast I know what works for me
1f60a.png

Ok, any ideas on these two brand new hatchlings? This last hatch was very disappointing and heart breaking.
11 eggs to lockdown. 6 hatched. 1 died today. 1 has a deformity on its beak. 1 has a weird eye and possibly a small yolk sack remaining (triple antibiotic on yolk sack and it's in a cup in the incubator). 3 "appear" healthy. These are D'Uccle Bantams.

If we are still talking ducks, I'd give it more time.

Also I have one who pipped on the wrong end. I stared to help him and then realized there were some veins on the inner membrane. It doesn't look like there's any yolk just veins. The baby's moving his beak but that's all, chirping a little too. Should I help him out tomorrow afternoon if he's still in? Are these veins just "extra"? One of them broke I guess because there was blood but now the blood is gone and the baby is still fine.

One of the eggs finally pipped externally so will he become a problem if he messes with the little guy who pipped on the wrong end? He'd be walking on his membrane, not shell.

Last edited:
Ok, any ideas on these two brand new hatchlings? This last hatch was very disappointing and heart breaking.
11 eggs to lockdown. 6 hatched. 1 died today. 1 has a deformity on its beak. 1 has a weird eye and possibly a small yolk sack remaining (triple antibiotic on yolk sack and it's in a cup in the incubator). 3 "appear" healthy. These are D'Uccle Bantams.

I am not sure about the deformity. The one looks like it has one nostril instead of two? I am sorry about your hatch, I had a horrible hatch recently as well so I feel your disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom