Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL

5. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Thanks. How long do they usually take to dry so I can put him in my brooder? He has flopped over and laid down right beneath the heater in the hot spot that is running 102 degrees. I wanna get him out asap so he doesn't cook in there.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Depends on your humidity as to how quick they dry. He won't cook in there though...lol He's loving the warmth. I keep the area under my light in the brooder 100/101 the first couple days, and most of them are right under in enjoying the warmth.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I did a collage for the first 5 days of incubation.....lol

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    That's good then. He is dabbling around on the screen trying to get to the water underneath. Too cute. Maybe I will leave him in there for today and take him out this evening then. I need him to get those other ducklings up and going, lol.

9. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Speed reading to catch up but wow-amazing pics!

1 person likes this.
  10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I just want to say that I love this thread!!

Good luck!!

Good job, Blooie!!

I'm going to crack 2 call eggs today too. They had veins and moving embryos but not anymore. The veins are all receded and they're not coming back! Does the breed of duck your hatching take 28 days? You know once you start collecting eggs again and wait to set them all together you're going to see how much easier it is!! :p

I'm considering getting the still air hova, how do you like it?

Yup, I was all set up for spring too. The last two days have been a pain in the butt! My silkies have no problem going in and out of the coop all day long but once the sun starts going down they all pile up on the floor of the run and I have to go out there and pick each one up and put them to bed. It's so annoying! Why don't they just go to bed?! I could never get an automatic door or they would be left out all night.

Yes, about 1-2 degree variance between top and bottom. On my first hatch in there some liquid had seperated from the thermometer while it was being shipped to me and I accidentally ran 101 the whole hatch. The chicks came early but it was a good hatch. I fixed the thermometer and ran 99.5 this last hatch (my second in the 20) and the hatch dragged out for 3 full days!! Next time I'm going to run 100.5. I also do not like the rails and cradle. Next time I'm laying the eggs flat and hand turning. I have call duck eggs coming next week!! And I'll prob add some of my own eggs, as much as I can fit.

We are frozen too! And I like to run on the hot side too. With my silkie eggs I run, on an average at least 50%. It goes up to 55% all the time. And the air cells grow great! I swear! I'm all for low humidity incubation and it really makes sense...sometimes I feel so "wrong" for running it so high but I can't argue with the results!! Lol.

Congrats on your first baby!! I don't get anything done around the house during hatch time! Even though I could my mind is to distracted, all I can think about is what's happening in the incubator! And yes, that baby will definitely encourage the others to come out. It's having a real life YouTube video playing right inside the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by