Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Morning to all! Snow flurries here in Va this morning sorry to all the folks up north dealing with April [​IMG]

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Actually, I'll be happy if it just stays between 99-102! [​IMG]

Amy? Running 40-50% humidity???!?!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

But seriously, that's adapting to your eggs, breeds, and conditions, and knowing your own incubator. All eggs are not created equal! [​IMG]

I filled the 2 small side wells and was only showing about 30-35%, then filled the inner square well, so we'll see what it shows when I get home. I do like that I can use my straws again to add water. I'll throw in a couple dry sponges when I put the eggs in, but didn't want to open it while I was testing.

Good luck with candling tonight. Hope you get some good pics too.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    IKR?? But these darn little silkie eggs need higher humidity. The air cells are already good for day 7...lol They are so small it doesn't take much for moisture loss apparently.

I candled a couple of the Spitz last night to get pics and could not get a decent pic. Going to try in a bit since we are still on day 5 and see if I have better luck. The day 4 pics were awesome. One day I will invest in a professional camera-and learn how to use it...lol

4. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio

The Brinsea held heat much better than the styro, but I think the fact that there was only one egg left in the Hova had a lot to do with that. I had that malpositioned stuck zipper in the Hova and I had just topped off water to keep the humidity up before we lost power. So I decided to try the heated rice in baggies for warmth in there rather than transfer it to the Brinsea although it was a tough call. My Hova temp dropped really fast. The Brinsea drop was much more gradual.
    What I did- I just unplugged the Brinsea and set it up on a bucket about a foot away from the stove. Wrapped it in a fleece blanket with an open side to the stove and rotated it around every so often. I had the chicks in front of the stove in the laundry basket and left the Hova where it was- just added rice and covered with a fleece blanket. I left a peak above the vent hole to allow the zipping chick to get fresh air.

That's great news that you're getting a generator!! We don't lose power very often here so it's hard to justify the cost for us.

5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    We lose power constantly [​IMG]

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Just looked at your FB page. What area of Ohio are you in?

7. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    OMG!!! Woke up and found significant progress on our pipped duckling. So I played him a video and he hatched right before my eyes!!!! So exciting. Still no pips on the other three though so maybe this lil guy can talk the other ones outta coming out too. It's only halfway through day 27 so they have plenty of time.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great! Congrats!!

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Pics when you get a chance! Congrats!

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sooooo, my father gave me his flashlight cause it has better batteries (apparently) so I was able to get a glimpse of the green eggs and their air cells. Surprised to see the air cells aren't bad and I believe 5/6 are developing. I also pulled a couple of the Spitz to try pics again and I got a couple good ones. This would be my official candle for day 5 of incubation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by