Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Lol, now that you mention that I just remembered that I did the same thing last week with my Brinsea and kept wondering why my humidity was so low.

2. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    The internet says stuff about hatching?? [​IMG] haha just kidden

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't get me started!

-Kathy

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    So glad it was an easy fix!!! Told you I've done that before-you are not alone.

5. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Ruby, you had mentioned that the ice tray might be a bad idea in the bator cos of drowning. Well, I put a screen around it to keep the duck out of it and sure enough, he is now sitting on top of that screen around the ice tray. Thanks for the tip cos I bet the lil guy woulda drowned had I not covered it up.

He is really wanting out of there. He keeps pecking on the walls and he is currently trying to climb the wall from the top of the ice tray. He is not completely dry though. Should I give him his wish and let him out to eat and drink or wait til he is all fluffy??? He's now been hatched for over 9 hours.....

1 person likes this.
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    50/50% [​IMG] Do you only have one in there?

Apparently that's common lol. At least it was an easy fix.

As long as you have one end heated you can put him in when you're comfortable. Most of mine are still wet when they go in the brooder- unless they hatched out at night when I'm sleeping.. (as if that happens much during hatch....lol)

7. quackshack74

quackshack74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin
    Wow you have had a tough time of it. Glad some are hatching.
    My little incubator is a foam homemade jobber. I looked it up on good old YouTube. ;)
    Thanks for the pep talk, my anxiety is getting the best of me.
    As I recall last year I had a lot of temp fluctuations too. 1 chick hatched a day early, kind of blasted out of her shell. The 2nd one was on time but slow & i had to help just a little. As you know other strict duck people for shamed me. That is why I'm so glad I found this thread. Everyone is so nice.
    ♡ good luck on your pips. Show us pictures of your results if you can. I'll do the same. Have fun.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    No shame in saving a life that doesn't have to die....or experiencing the incubation/hatch in it's entirety either. [​IMG] Welcome to the thread!

9. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Okay, he is in the brooder. Now that he is dry and out of the hatcher, I can certainly tell that his coloring is brownish and not blue. Which means Heff must be his dad, our Welsh Harlequin. Pics coming soon!

10. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

I second,,of course lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by