Hands on hatching and help

Hey everyone! Jumping in here, I've read some of this thread off and on but needless to say don't have the time to read the entire thing lol.

I'm currently on day 20 of my first batch of eggs. I have 10 CL and 6 Silkie eggs that have made it to lockdown. Last night I had my first pip, with three more pipping overnight. I have seen absolutely no movement from any of the eggs, and heard no peeping. Is that normal? It seems like everything I've read says the eggs should be rocking and I should hear the chicks peeping. Also, it's been between 12 - 14 hours since the first egg pipped. I keep reading conflicting information on how long to wait to assist - some say 12 hours, some say 24. Any advice? I don't have a problem assisting if need be, but I definitely don't want to interfere too early.

This is nerve wracking, I got up several times last night to check on the eggs and then dreamed about them lol.

Hey everyone! Jumping in here, I've read some of this thread off and on but needless to say don't have the time to read the entire thing lol.

I'm currently on day 20 of my first batch of eggs. I have 10 CL and 6 Silkie eggs that have made it to lockdown. Last night I had my first pip, with three more pipping overnight. I have seen absolutely no movement from any of the eggs, and heard no peeping. Is that normal? It seems like everything I've read says the eggs should be rocking and I should hear the chicks peeping. Also, it's been between 12 - 14 hours since the first egg pipped. I keep reading conflicting information on how long to wait to assist - some say 12 hours, some say 24. Any advice? I don't have a problem assisting if need be, but I definitely don't want to interfere too early.

This is nerve wracking, I got up several times last night to check on the eggs and then dreamed about them lol.

Honestly, I rarely see an egg rocking, and peeping you don't hear constantly, only when a chick chooses to vocalize. I usually don't hear much peeping unless I tap on an egg to get a chick to peep.

12-14 hours is fine, give it more time :) Wait at least 18 hours before you start to assist.

Honestly, I rarely see an egg rocking, and peeping you don't hear constantly, only when a chick chooses to vocalize. I usually don't hear much peeping unless I tap on an egg to get a chick to peep.

12-14 hours is fine, give it more time :) Wait at least 18 hours before you start to assist.

Thank you! Right after I posted I checked the eggs again and saw that the first egg that pipped has cracked a bit more. I'm a little less worried now lol! Glad to know it's not unusual for them to not rock or peep.

Eggs take some time to heat up inside. It sounds like the incubator is heating up correctly--You have a very good thermometer that registers temperature change quickly. It sounds like a keeper.

The eggs did not warm up to 102 just to make sure I was saying that in an understandable way above.

Hoping you have a great hatch!

One of my chicks pipped, I don't remember exactly how long ago but it's been a while. It got its beak out sometime early this morning, and hasn't progressed at all from there. I noticed there seemed to be some liquid around the pip and in its beak. I've been watching it for a few hours now and there's been no change. It's not attempting to move, just got its beak stuck out of the hole with liquid bubbling in it. I did pull it out and chip away some of the shell around it and removed the membrane from around its beak and tried to dry up the liquid but there's still no change. Does anyone have advice? Should I attempt to assist it?

This is about as good as I can get.

Attachments

• 20170921_111707.jpg
    20170921_111707.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 8
Hello everyone, I just found this thread. I was of the mindset that I would "let the strongest survive" but when I had one of my broodies hatch a clutch in May, I found myself faced with dilemma. One of my chicks had kicked 50% of the shell off, but was still mostly encased in membrane. I checked on her a few times over the next several hours and she wasn't able to make any headway on the membrane. In fact, it was starting to shrink-wrap on her. So I went to what had been the blunt end of the egg and carefully pulled back the membrane. This poor chick had her neck folded down between her legs. After I peeled back the membrane. she gave one last vigorious kick and pushed her way out of the rest of the shell. She is a pretty little bird (17 weeks old). Flighty as heck, but fun to watch.
IMG_6074.jpg IMG_6075.jpg

I currently have another batch of eggs under a broody that should hatch Saturday or Sunday. I can hardly wait.

This is about as good as I can get.
Sorry to be late replying to this post.
Yes, very carefully get the chick out. The goo coming out indicates that the chick will be very sticky and will likely be stuck already.
Follow the guides for assisting here on BYC

Sorry to be late replying to this post.
Yes, very carefully get the chick out. The goo coming out indicates that the chick will be very sticky and will likely be stuck already.
Follow the guides for assisting here on BYC

Thanks for the response, the chick actually died a while after I posted. I did attempt to get it out but I couldn't without making it bleed. It had yellow liquid foaming out of its beak and the hole in the shell..ruptured yolk I'm assuming?

Back
Top Bottom