Hands on hatching and help

View attachment 1218105 I have not had good luck with hatching. I've read so many different opinions and tried a totally dry hatch last time. It was the worse result yet. So this time we had really rainy weather so I just ignored the humidity 'cause I didn't know how to lower it. At day 17 the air cell was the same size as at day 10 ... hadn't grown. So in an effort to lower the humidity to let the air cell grow I put the eggs in a cardboard egg flat. It worked and in the last few days the egg cell has grown.
I am concerned about the eggs hatching in this vertical position. Will they hatch alright? I'm afraid moving them this late in the game would be a death sentence. I really need your expert help. If the eggs absolutely need to be on their side how do I know which way to turn them so their head is pointed up.

I'm desperate to save these paint silkie babies. I started with 16 eggs. At day 10 when I candled I had 4 moving babies; one with a blood ring; and one with a small black blob. The other 10 had no development at all.
Ugh!
Worst way to pack eggs for shipping on the planet!

You will need to give those eggs the best hatching conditions possible.

The most important thing is to make sure you have a good thermometer and that it is calibrated. Hint: if your thermometer does not read in tenths, it is not a good thermometer

, I am needing to assist a lone Hatcher. I had eight eggs I found “hidden” and had no idea how long they had been there. I put em all in the baton and three of the eight had started developing, but on day 14, only one was still moving along. I had a hard time keeping the humidity up,highest was 54%.

Come yesterday afternoon, it had pipped. This morning it had not progressed and I noticed the outer membrane was paper white. I chipped some of the shell off and it was chirping. Tonight (24+ hrs), it had not progressed. The white part has started to tan and inner membrane is drying. I dabbed it with bactarin(sp) and still noticed some red vessels.

Getting nervous and not wanting to lose the lil bugger.

Hey! I’m glad this thread is here in case my chicks need help. I am on day 8 with my first hatch, and so far it’s been going ok. Only 6/14 are showing any signs of life, and one looks more developed than the rest. I It is it is moving around, but I didn’t think they would until day 10. My incubator is forced air, but I noticed the edges are more around 97 degrees, so they are all bunched in the middle of the incubator. I hope they are all warm enough.
E70A8E01-22F6-489D-8915-E52774A6A040.jpeg

Do air cells look ok?

Checked on her this morning and still the same. Was chirping loudly and trying to move, but was glued in. Looked like there may of been some dried yolk. She was also seemingly gasping for air, think her nostrils were covered over.

Used distilled water with some vetrx in it and swabbed everything down and helped break the membrane. She’s laying there now resting, we shall see. :(

Checked on her this morning and still the same. Was chirping loudly and trying to move, but was glued in. Looked like there may of been some dried yolk. She was also seemingly gasping for air, think her nostrils were covered over.

Used distilled water with some vetrx in it and swabbed everything down and helped break the membrane. She’s laying there now resting, we shall see. :(

Glad you got her out, sorry no one was available to help earlier. It sounds like you were doing everything right. Hopefully she gains strength and pulls through.

Glad you got her out, sorry no one was available to help earlier. It sounds like you were doing everything right. Hopefully she gains strength and pulls through.

Np. I’m not sure if she will survive though. Checking on her, I could see the yolk def broke during the hatch and her navel still has a little something hanging. :(

Looking up the mushy stuff, didn’t see anything I could do?

Back
Top Bottom