Hands on hatching and help

My second assist happened on Thursday afternoon (day 23). I didn't have as many pictures for this hatching because I didn't ask for help on this one. This chick broke through its shell in the middle of the egg. You can see the start of the pip in this picture here.
IMG_6482.JPG

A few hours later, the hole was only slightly bigger, and the chick was struggling. I peeled the membrane in the pip back, and saw blood. The chick had pecked through its own blood supply. I decided to start an assist right there. I started peeling the shell back on he side of the pip away from the blood and found that the chick was breech. Its feet were up by the air cell. I got enough shell away so it could move more freely but I didn't get into the blood supply and set it down and let it alone. I came back a couple of hours later and that chick had completely hatched as well as another one that had pipped earlier. The chick I helped (a little cockerel) needed more assistance though. His umbilical was still attached to the shell and he was frantically trying to kick away from the egg. So we made sure that there was no blood vessels, just connective tissue, and cut the umbilical about an inch away from his body. He immediately relaxed and laid down on the incubator floor. The next afternoon we moved him and his sister that hatched at the same time into the brooder with the other 4 chicks and they did just fine. You can see how bloody this little guy's shell got.
IMG_6487.JPG

He is doing great and has none of the issues that Chicken Surprise had. He is the chick in the middle of the 3 cockerels I hatched.
IMG_6517.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6486.JPG
    IMG_6486.JPG
    607 KB · Views: 2
20171205_080242.jpg
I have not had good luck with hatching. I've read so many different opinions and tried a totally dry hatch last time. It was the worse result yet. So this time we had really rainy weather so I just ignored the humidity 'cause I didn't know how to lower it. At day 17 the air cell was the same size as at day 10 ... hadn't grown. So in an effort to lower the humidity to let the air cell grow I put the eggs in a cardboard egg flat. It worked and in the last few days the egg cell has grown.
I am concerned about the eggs hatching in this vertical position. Will they hatch alright? I'm afraid moving them this late in the game would be a death sentence. I really need your expert help. If the eggs absolutely need to be on their side how do I know which way to turn them so their head is pointed up.

I'm desperate to save these paint silkie babies. I started with 16 eggs. At day 10 when I candled I had 4 moving babies; one with a blood ring; and one with a small black blob. The other 10 had no development at all.

View attachment 1218105 I have not had good luck with hatching. I've read so many different opinions and tried a totally dry hatch last time. It was the worse result yet. So this time we had really rainy weather so I just ignored the humidity 'cause I didn't know how to lower it. At day 17 the air cell was the same size as at day 10 ... hadn't grown. So in an effort to lower the humidity to let the air cell grow I put the eggs in a cardboard egg flat. It worked and in the last few days the egg cell has grown.
I am concerned about the eggs hatching in this vertical position. Will they hatch alright? I'm afraid moving them this late in the game would be a death sentence. I really need your expert help. If the eggs absolutely need to be on their side how do I know which way to turn them so their head is pointed up.

I'm desperate to save these paint silkie babies. I started with 16 eggs. At day 10 when I candled I had 4 moving babies; one with a blood ring; and one with a small black blob. The other 10 had no development at all.

You can lay them on their sides. You can incubate vertically for their entire incubation and still lay them on their sides for lockdown and hatching :)

What day are they on now? Depending on what day they're on, they may have already drawn down, meaning the air cell will have come farther down one side of the egg. You can position the lowest part of the air cell on the top of the egg when you lay them down, and that is where the chicks should pip.

Sounds like with the humidity troubles you've had, you might want to weigh your eggs the next time you incubate, so you can find out what humidity will work for you.

Thank you so much. They are on day 20.... is that to late? And yes the air cell is lopsided.... lower on one side.
I have rubberized shelving cover over the floor. Should I place them flat, or make a small ridge and place them at a slight angle with the air cell up?

Glad for your help. I know one thing , I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this site before I incubate another batch.

Thank you so much. They are on day 20.... is that to late? And yes the air cell is lopsided.... lower on one side.
I have rubberized shelving cover over the floor. Should I place them flat, or make a small ridge and place them at a slight angle with the air cell up?

Glad for your help. I know one thing , I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this site before I incubate another batch.

Lay the eggs down with the lowest dipped side of the air cell up toward the ceiling. You can prop the air cell end slightly higher if you want, but not really necessary. It will kinda do that on its own from the weight of the baby being in the other end anyway.

Good luck!

In my hatch last week, I had a chick hatch on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, and 2 on Thursday. Your hatch may not be over yet.
Yes it did it on it's own. It was chirping it's head off and not making any progress. So I helped it.... it's now out and drying.
I don't think the other eggs are viable.
Can one chick alone make it?

Back
Top Bottom