Hands on hatching and help

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Have a safe and fun day tomorrow!
Thanks giving gif.gif

GUYS I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CHICKS.I HATCHED SOME BRAHMA CHICKS SOME TIME AGO THE MALE CHICK STARTED LOOSING HAIRS(FUZZY FEATHERS) AROUND THE NECK DOWNWARDS MAKING IT NOT GROW FEATHERS WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND.NOW I HAVE THIS SECOND HATCH ANOTHER MALE THE SAME PROBLEM,HE EATS NORMAL AND HE IS ACTIVE BUT GROWING SLIM I DON'T UNDERSTAND.AM THINKING ITS WORMS SO I DE-WORMED THEM YESTERDAY BUT I WANT A SECOND OPINION.MY FRIEND ALSO SUGGESTED I MIX A STRONGER ANTIBIOTICS WITH THEIR WATER

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

GUYS I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CHICKS.I HATCHED SOME BRAHMA CHICKS SOME TIME AGO THE MALE CHICK STARTED LOOSING HAIRS(FUZZY FEATHERS) AROUND THE NECK DOWNWARDS MAKING IT NOT GROW FEATHERS WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND.NOW I HAVE THIS SECOND HATCH ANOTHER MALE THE SAME PROBLEM,HE EATS NORMAL AND HE IS ACTIVE BUT GROWING SLIM I DON'T UNDERSTAND.AM THINKING ITS WORMS SO I DE-WORMED THEM YESTERDAY BUT I WANT A SECOND OPINION.MY FRIEND ALSO SUGGESTED I MIX A STRONGER ANTIBIOTICS WITH THEIR WATER

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

Can you post some pics?
Are they in a brooder inside? what are you feeding and what kind of bedding are you using? Could other chicks be doing it to him?

First batch of Maran eggs are hatching. One hatched really fast the next was really slow and finally stopped trying altogether. I phoned my resident chook-breeder friend and she told me to prepare a spray bottle with warm water, a jug with warm water and tweezers and a warm damp wash cloth. Then told me to open the incubator, add the extra water and spray all the eggs. Removing the stuck one and placing it in the warm wash cloth. Which I did. I gently removed quite a bit of shell (it was REALLY hard) and still the chick was not at all strong (I had left it for several hours thinking it would hatch and scared to intervene. Gradually I was able to gently remove the tight membrane and keeping her warm very slowly helped her out of the shell. I then put her back in the incubator and sprayed the eggs again. She slowly gained strength and it now doing well.

The problem is that the two hatched chicks are climbing all over the unhatched ones and turning the eggs. I know some are now beak to the floor. Should I move them, and how long should it take from pipping to hatch?

I also have two red Ancona eggs and they are showing no sign of hatching at all. 22 days today.

Help would be very much appreciated.

First batch of Maran eggs are hatching. One hatched really fast the next was really slow and finally stopped trying altogether. I phoned my resident chook-breeder friend and she told me to prepare a spray bottle with warm water, a jug with warm water and tweezers and a warm damp wash cloth. Then told me to open the incubator, add the extra water and spray all the eggs. Removing the stuck one and placing it in the warm wash cloth. Which I did. I gently removed quite a bit of shell (it was REALLY hard) and still the chick was not at all strong (I had left it for several hours thinking it would hatch and scared to intervene. Gradually I was able to gently remove the tight membrane and keeping her warm very slowly helped her out of the shell. I then put her back in the incubator and sprayed the eggs again. She slowly gained strength and it now doing well.

The problem is that the two hatched chicks are climbing all over the unhatched ones and turning the eggs. I know some are now beak to the floor. Should I move them, and how long should it take from pipping to hatch?

I also have two red Ancona eggs and they are showing no sign of hatching at all. 22 days today.

I know everyone has different thoughts on hatching. I personally would and do move my active chicks to the brooder as I hate to see them play soccer with the eggs. As for the duck I understand they take 28 days? I have yet to hatch ducks but will be in the spring. Best luck with your hatch!

Congrats on a successful assist, and your hatch!

One thing I believe most of us agree about is that while a damp rag/towel/etc seems like a logical thing to do, it really doesn't help the egg retain moisture. Actually the opposite, as the wetness evaporates, it draws more moisture from the egg. Many folks still do it, but I'm just sharing what I have learned. Same with misting the eggs. I don't do it, this late in the game. I only mist when I'm trying to draw more moisture out of the egg.

Other chicks turning eggs over doesn't normally bother the process, but it is possible for a pip to get closed off when its upside down, so I prefer to turn them back over. Or you can quickly pull the active ones and move them to the brooder.

External pip to hatch usually takes less than 24 hours. Some average 12, some 18, etc, but generally 24 hours is when I get worried.

Good luck with the rest, and please keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom