Hands on hatching and help

I need a bit of help, very new to everything incubation.
I had one quail of 48 pip 18 hours ago, I left it be thinking it would be fine on it’s own.
This morning there was still no progress, so I read a few assisted hatch articles and decided to pick off the egg around the air cell.
The chick was moving its beak around but was getting no where prior.
I opened the top half up, leaving the membrane that seems to have tightly formed around the chick. It is also hard to the touch. The chick is struggling to move more than it’s beak atm.
I put some coconut oil on it hoping it might soften up (I avoided the beak) and I’ve put it back in the bator until I can be more certain of the next step.
Also we are on day 18 (which is in the hatching window for quail) humidity is at 70%.
Thank you!
728DEC59-664B-4F92-9F06-131354CB91DA.jpeg
728DEC59-664B-4F92-9F06-131354CB91DA.jpeg

I need a bit of help, very new to everything incubation.
I had one quail of 48 pip 18 hours ago, I left it be thinking it would be fine on it’s own.
This morning there was still no progress, so I read a few assisted hatch articles and decided to pick off the egg around the air cell.
The chick was moving its beak around but was getting no where prior.
I opened the top half up, leaving the membrane that seems to have tightly formed around the chick. It is also hard to the touch. The chick is struggling to move more than it’s beak atm.
I put some coconut oil on it hoping it might soften up (I avoided the beak) and I’ve put it back in the bator until I can be more certain of the next step.
Also we are on day 18 (which is in the hatching window for quail) humidity is at 70%.
Thank you!
View attachment 1454012
View attachment 1454012
From the pictures it looks ready to me. Did you come across any blood or veins in the membrane? Can you candle the pointy end, in a dark room, and see if you can see any active veins at the pointy end? Is he struggling to get out? No veins or blood in the membrane usually indicates that they are ready.

From the pictures it looks ready to me. Did you come across any blood or veins in the membrane? Can you candle the pointy end, in a dark room, and see if you can see any active veins at the pointy end? Is he struggling to get out? No veins or blood in the membrane usually indicates that they are ready.
This egg is particularly thick and I have been unable to candle at all. She’s struggling like she wants out but it’s like she’s glued in there. I see some very thin veins, I’m not experienced enough to know if they haven’t been absorbed or it’s just what was left over.
The membrane is quite hard.
What should I do next?

I would keep peeling slowly. the longer you wait, the more fatigued it will get. slow and careful will be okay.maybe in a steamy bathroom?

This egg is particularly thick and I have been unable to candle at all. She’s struggling like she wants out but it’s like she’s glued in there. I see some very thin veins, I’m not experienced enough to know if they haven’t been absorbed or it’s just what was left over.
What should I do next?
From looking at the picture, I don’t see any veins or blood. I’ll post a pic of a normal membrane right after hatch so you can get an idea of what is normal for when they are ready to hatch. To proceed you would simply remove the membrane from the spot you’ve already got the shell off. The chick will then kick out of the bottom half of the shell. I peel away the membrane and get the head out and then put them back in the incubator to kick out by themselves. Sometimes the fluid in the egg will turn to glue. I’ve experienced that myself. Once the baby hatches make sure the nostrils, eyes, and vent are clear from the clear sticky substance. Some people will rinse them in warm water. I usually wait to see how they dry first (as long as eyes, nostrils & vent are clear). They are referred to as “sticky” chicks. Just be on the lookout for blood and any unaborbed yolk.

Attachments

• C2F3C9E0-FF26-4DED-A59D-558DACBCC72E.jpeg
    C2F3C9E0-FF26-4DED-A59D-558DACBCC72E.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 7
What should I do next?
Ok so update:
I chipped a bit more shell and uncovered a bit of veining. Worked away at some of the crusty hard membrane around her head. She’s still struggling. I’ll keep working at that part till her head is free. And she can take it from there.
A10DDF0C-1042-435A-9CD8-9DFEFA609A4E.jpeg
A039EE22-F804-4544-99DD-A40E98439524.jpeg
A10DDF0C-1042-435A-9CD8-9DFEFA609A4E.jpeg
A039EE22-F804-4544-99DD-A40E98439524.jpeg

I think I’ve done what I can. She can move her head now. I did get some blood, I hope she’ll be ok. She’s in the incubator wiggling away. Thank you for your help and patience :)
72DC4909-AC58-4A8E-A898-C1EAE1E3618D.jpeg
72DC4909-AC58-4A8E-A898-C1EAE1E3618D.jpeg

I think I’ve done what I can. She can move her head now. I did get some blood, I hope she’ll be ok. She’s in the incubator wiggling away. Thank you for your help and patience :)
View attachment 1454146
View attachment 1454146
Stop whenever you see blood. You can use a dab of cornstarch to stop bleeding. If there’s blood then it’s not ready. Just leave it for now and when it’s ready to will come out. Anything going on with the other eggs?

Stop whenever you see blood. You can use a dab of cornstarch to stop bleeding. If there’s blood then it’s not ready. Just leave it for now and when it’s ready to will come out. Anything going on with the other eggs?
There have been no other external pips. My incubation practices obviously need some work :/
Many of these eggs are very difficult to candle so I am unsure how or if to move forward with any others.
Also she just pushed her way out. No remaining yolk or anything weird looking. She’s very tired, hopefully she’ll be on her feet in a little while.
9BBD9AA7-A8C0-4B9D-8A39-88DC8D2A83BE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom