Hands on hatching and help

I know. My friend that was out there with me when we heard them said "You need to put a bat house up" lol From what I read it is illegal to kill them off by colony. It said that if they are the little brown bats that I think they are, the colony is mostly female and the males roost in nearby trees and about June each one has a baby that doesn't come out of the colony's home until August.  I actually love bats, just not having 26-50 of the little rabie carrying -guano dropping things living under my roof,

LOL. I'm not a big fan of killing things. Unless it's spiders and insects, then I'm right on that crap...lol  I just want them to go live elsewhere.

Welcome to thread. What kind of incubator are you using?

It's a loaner from my parents' farm. I believe it's farm innovators model 4200 with the fan and auto turner. I had a LOT of difficulty maintaining temp which I think was part of why only 1 egg made it.

I'm not a huge fan of needless killing either..just ask my chickens.. I even made my extra boys a bachelor pad coop so they'd have a safe place to live out their days without ending up..well..anywhere else. I'm a bleeding heart..
She hunts spiders too..they are my biggest fear in this entire world..

On a sad note, my little one didn't make it.. there wasn't any poops after the intial runny one that covered his little sac.. he would eat, but only a nibble here and there..he did fine over night with the other little babies in the brooder and came out of the cave this morning, but his head was still hanging, and he looked even more "lacking" in the rear.. I went out and fed everyone else..was gonna make him up a special concoction afterwards and see if I could get it in him via syringe and when I came back in , he was gone. ..looked like he went in the cave, curled up for a nap and didn't wake back up :'(
I'm heartbroken..I should have known to not get attached, but it's hard to nurse a little one for days and stay distant ♡♡
New group of eggs on Day 20 in the hatcher(blue, jubilee and mottled Orps and tolbunt Polish), and the next group is on day 16..also have groups on Days 14, 10, 7 and 3.. Days 16, 14, and 10 are from my birds (WCB bantam Polish, Norwegians and Silkies), Day 3 are a mix I got from a local lady of mixed layers..eggs were refrigerated so dunno how they'll do.. also set 2 Serama yesterday bc my gal has been hiding her nest n I finally found it..lol.. so excited for the first of her babies..thought she was sterile for the longest time..til I trimmed her frizzle boys rear.. seemed to help the issue immensely. .

Ok, so that's my mini novel for the morning♡♡

It's a loaner from my parents' farm. I believe it's farm innovators model 4200 with the fan and auto turner. I had a LOT of difficulty maintaining temp which I think was part of why only 1 egg made it.

I'm not a huge fan of needless killing either..just ask my chickens.. I even made my extra boys a bachelor pad coop so they'd have a safe place to live out their days without ending up..well..anywhere else. I'm a bleeding heart..

On a sad note, my little one didn't make it.. there wasn't any poops after the intial runny one that covered his little sac.. he would eat, but only a nibble here and there..he did fine over night with the other little babies in the brooder and came out of the cave this morning, but his head was still hanging, and he looked even more "lacking" in the rear.. I went out and fed everyone else..was gonna make him up a special concoction afterwards and see if I could get it in him via syringe and when I came back in , he was gone. ..looked like he went in the cave, curled up for a nap and didn't wake back up :'(
I'm heartbroken..I should have known to not get attached, but it's hard to nurse a little one for days and stay distant ♡♡
New group of eggs on Day 20 in the hatcher(blue, jubilee and mottled Orps and tolbunt Polish), and the next group is on day 16..also have groups on Days 14, 10, 7 and 3.. Days 16, 14, and 10 are from my birds (WCB bantam Polish, Norwegians and Silkies), Day 3 are a mix I got from a local lady of mixed layers..eggs were refrigerated so dunno how they'll do.. also set 2 Serama yesterday bc my gal has been hiding her nest n I finally found it..lol.. so excited for the first of her babies..thought she was sterile for the longest time..til I trimmed her frizzle boys rear.. seemed to help the issue immensely. .

sad.png
Sorry to hear that. For most of us it's pretty hard not to get attached when you invest so much into the little ones to give them a chance.

hugs.gif
sorry about the little one. All those eggs incubating, might as well throw in some lav orp eggs on Sunday, huh??
wink.png

:(   Sorry to hear that. For most of us it's pretty hard not to get attached when you invest so much into the little ones to give them a chance.

Thank you ♡♡ Yes, it's so hard to not get attached.. I think there was definitely something going on inside and in the long run, it probably would have suffered, so I guess it was for the best.. doesn't make it easier tho. Glad to have a great support system here tho.. I can cyber cry on ya'lls shoulders ♡♡

Growl, danged itty bitty brinsea and it's hard edges. I was adding an egg two days ago and one of this week's hatchers got thumped and got about a dime sized crunched area. I'm a gimp so I keep a bottle of super glue near the incubator. As long as you aren't coating a ton of area w it, it's she'll safe. Pure cyano acrylate- not substitutes. The problem with using it is that it's so thin it will get to the interior membrane if it's torn an compromise that bits flexibility during hatch. Those chicks often need help. Sure enough he was a bit stuck but he's hatched out now and comfy. The glue did it's job and got him the last couple days' time. Another should hatch tomorrow. Incubation is an addiction lol. My name is Cher an I'm addicted to hatching.

I get my reptile supplies ( incubators,parts, heat tape and heat mats , thermostats from Big Apple Herp online. Their products are well vetted and chosen for reliability. I also like that many reptile products are humidity or even water resistant . That's just that much safer. I use a reptile ceramic heat bulb, it doesn't create light just heat and is nice for keeping drying and early hatched chicks calm and quiet. It's only in one corner so older, stronger chicks can avoid it if they choose. I like the control I get from a heating pad and ceramic heater plugged into the thermostat. I don't worry then about spikes or drops. Since Zilla is a manufacturer you don't get to see alternative products that might be more useful.

:hugs   sorry about the little one.  All those eggs incubating, might as well throw in some lav orp eggs on Sunday, huh??  ;)

That would be nice, hint hint wink wink..lol..
Just checked the weather for Saturday. .only 5% chance of rain.. a little cool in the AM, but mid 50s-60 by 10 or so ♡♡ Really hope you can make it.. I even have a 'lovely' Rouen drake you can take home..hahaha

Back
Top Bottom