Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. quackshack74

quackshack74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin
    O.k. I just candled the goose eggs, I'm still but seeing any development. No veins. Nothing ugh

2. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    I wash my incubator with hot water and vinegar and nothing else. But it sits for weeks between hatches in a very dry environment.

3. tracyjg

tracyjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    lv nv
    What setting did you have your heating pad on low medium high. I put it down laid the towel over it put the nesting box on top of that. I didn't want duck to eat the cord. I still hope they don't eat the cord coming up out of dog house up to the extension cord. The heat lamp only hit snowflakes eggs. Not hopes eggs so I gave hope my heating pad. It's on low. We lost another egg not developed at all.

4. WildHens

WildHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    Heat pad is for chicks, not eggs or adults. Could easily scald your hen if she's sitting.
    Most info produced by extension offices and the likes dealing with poultry are related to large scale hatcheries or breeders.. so unless you have a cabinet incubator or one that's as big as a room, it will eat it eventually. .maybe not today, but it will. I offer this from experience bc I had no clue when I got my first incubator and I cleaned mine after every hatch with very strong bleach water... it didn't last long at all...

But as for the eggs, what I suggested earlier is about all I can offer..pull eggs, test in your incubator (I'd dry it out and blow dry if you are wanting to set now..it's clean..) and go from there. . Otherwise... I dunno..

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia

I would think you should see something by now.. I think by Day 7 or so I see veining on duck eggs. I've never done goose eggs..are they easy to see in?

6. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

My Manx baby fresh after filling her belly.. She still weighs about 6 Oz less than her sis, but she's been playing and acting like a normal kitten, so think we're out of the worst of the danger..still have to make sure she doesn't chill and clean her (she is starting to figure this out)..
    But isn't she adorable ♡♡
    ETA: promise I don't leave her all wet n nasty looking..lol.. she was just standing inside her bowl of food eating..

[​IMG]
    Beside a full size BIC lighter..

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    And had 1 hatch over night (3 more were pipped).. well these 3 are now in a race to see who can make it out first.. I swear, 5 mins ago none had started to zip..

[​IMG]

8. quackshack74

quackshack74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin
    This is my 1st go at goose eggs. The shell is thicker but I can see the yolk no veins :( I'm thinking not fertile.
    The friend I got them from said he sets them up just like his ducks. More humidity from what I've studied.
    Well poop! Guess I'll try again. Thank you

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    She's adorable! Glad she is doing better! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, sounding infertile. You could crack one open first, just to make sure, before you toss them all. I assume you are using a flashlight that is bright enough, and fresh batteries?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by