Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Agree 78 is pretty high but it does depend on what it has been running since day one. I am not a fan of paper towels, I would be removing them

2. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If the abdomen is tight, then don't even try anymore, it's closing up. So what's hanging out will adventurally fall off. Just keep it clean because you really don't want it to get infected..

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    90 is very high.

4. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

I too am sorry the last one didn't pull thru BUT yay on having peeps, how much MORE special will they be now to you! Glad you shared the experience!

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have been able to get TWO to show signs of life but did quite at an early stage, never hatched for me. I don't hold my breath on deattached but I will continue to give it a shot because I believe SOME day, it will happen..

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Now loose is different from Deattached and I have had LOTS of luck with loose ones. I just think once the air cell is totally broken through the larger end, it's kind of hopeless but I do keep trying anyway..

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AWEEE that's a sad story with a HAPPY ENDING. GOOD FOR YOU

8. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Sorry that paragraph about ME wondering about hatch&rising humidity was added to grey section&should have not been. Whoopsies-obviosly not a techi type here.
    Always Learning...

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    WOW for a BABY chick? I ran my lockdown at 80% for some call ducks, YES, waterfowl, GUESS WHAT happened. ALL 10 eggs GONE, they all died. Humidity was to HIGH. There's only ONE time when I will raise it at 80 ever and that is when they get sticky.

LESSON LEARNED...

But for chicks I don't see the purpose of having it so high, they hatch any ways. i have some hatching right now, I have ZERO water in this bator. One is out and three others have externally pipped..

10. quackshack74

quackshack74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin
    Hi, I have 2 duck eggs in incubating now, on day 17. One is looking great, pink & wriggling around. My 2nd one has a strange yellow huge when candled. Also I can't tellif it is moving. I didn't want to keep it out too long. I can see that it is formed but just think the yellow is odd.
    Has anyone seen this before& am I just over worried?
    I'm doing everything as 8 be done before, temp. 99/100F, humidity spot on, I turn & mist them as required. Help[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by