Hands on hatching and help

Hi, I have 2 duck eggs in incubating now, on day 17. One is looking great, pink & wriggling around. My 2nd one has a strange yellow huge when candled. Also I can't tellif it is moving. I didn't want to keep it out too long. I can see that it is formed but just think the yellow is odd.
Has anyone seen this before& am I just over worried?
I'm doing everything as 8 be done before, temp. 99/100F, humidity spot on, I turn & mist them as required. Help
That yellow blob is called STICKY, you have a sticky baby, How many times are you misting them and what is the humidity at?

Sticky babies are VERY hard to hatch, IMPOSSIBLE? NO but the hatching rate is decreased IMMENSELY. That one is really bad, Candle the smaller end and send a pic. this will give me a better idea if it would have a possible chance or not.

What happens is that yellow blob stops them from fully forming and mostly will end up suffocating them

I think, though I could be wrong, but I took it as someone told her that it probably hadn't (would not have had) asborbed the yolk at the time it pipped. I hear a lot of people saying that chicks don't absorb yolk until after they pip and that's what takes so long. While there are times that the yolk isn't absorbed before the external pip or even hatch, in general, on the incubation/chick development timeline, that..

I read the "step by step guide to assisted hatching" article you see in this topic. It says the mal positioned chick can have trouble absorbing the yolk and that is why I waited. It has some good pics in that article.

I read the "step by step guide to assisted hatching" article you see in this topic. It says the mal positioned chick can have trouble absorbing the yolk and that is why I waited. It has some good pics in that article.
What it probably doesn't tell you is what you can do to HELP it absorb..

That yellow blob is called STICKY, you have a sticky baby, How many times are you misting them and what is the humidity at?

Sticky babies are VERY hard to hatch, IMPOSSIBLE? NO but the hatching rate is decreased IMMENSELY.  That one is really bad, Candle the smaller end and send a pic.  this will give me a better idea if it would have a possible chance or not.

What happens is that yellow blob stops them from fully forming and mostly will end up suffocating them

I mist once daily, humidity has stayed around 65% +^.
I'll take a pic later & post it.
Bummer. The other egg is beautiful and active. :)

If the abdomen is tight, then don't even try anymore, it's closing up.  So what's hanging out will adventurally fall off.  Just keep it clean because you really don't want it to get infected..

What do you think about tying a thread around it ti get it to fall off faster? I haven't done it yet, just considering because I don't want to keep that thing around too long.
Trying to catch up on the threads, but I've missed some.

What it probably doesn't tell you is what you can do to HELP it absorb..  

True and by the time it finished hatching it was too late. What I did was cut the shell off because it was still attached, put mupricon on it and try to push it in. When it wouldn't go in I put it back in the bator alone to see what happened. Not it is with the others and the ball looks better to me.

I had one hatch like that. It took about a day for the yolk to absorb but the umbilical stayed. A few days later I noticed the umbilical had dried to a stringlike consistency and wrapped around one of her legs. She was walking with a hop-skip-jump because one leg was bound to her navel! I snipped it from around the leg and it fell off sometime later. Just another thing to watch out for....

yes, as they popped out, the humidity will increase, think of the chicks as a WET PAPER TOWEL until they dry off. LOL
which is how my humidity would get so high. Last time I opened the bator too much. This time I tried to not open it and had 17 of 18 live so far which is better than before

I mist once daily, humidity has stayed around 65% +^.
I'll take a pic later & post it.
Bummer. The other egg is beautiful and active.
smile.png
Your humidity was at 65 + The entire time? Or just for Lockdown?

Back
Top Bottom