Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    That chick is hanging with the others, eating and drinking. Jumping on the food and jumping off. The yolk sack is still there but is more like the size of a dressmaker pin head.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Can you send a pic? is it scabbing over or does it still look fresh, if fresh have you tried to push it in? Are you using anything on it right now?

I would put some neosprin without pain reliever, you want to avoid it from getting infected.

3. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Don't loose hope, it ain't over till it's over my friend! To me 78° is little high just don't want your membrane drying out. Awesome idea leaving a bit of paper towel whicked out to moist!

4. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    The mupricon is like prescription strength neosporin. It seems like it has gotten smaller since this morning when I was trying to push it in. The abdomen was too tight even slathered in ointment and that was fresh out of the egg. I did let it finish getting itself out once I got it to where it could so it may have taken too long for the abdomen to be accepting. It seems to be doing well.

5. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    Also, I can't do pics now for some reason

6. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    I keep thinking I hear it.
    I dry hatched till lockdown and it has gotten up to 90. I couldn't even see the gages for the water bubbles on the windows and so far 17 of 18 made it

7. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

17 out of 18 is superb any day though.
    Maybe that last one will make it thru...little things never stop amazing me!

8. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Why didn't I ever think of this?? In the dead of winter when my hands were dry and cold, on two separate occasions I dropped eggs candling and cracked them. Luckily they both hatched, thank god. But this is a great tip.

Hey can I ask you something? I've got call ducks eggs with totally detached air cells. Have you had luck with totally detached?

9. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    It died. Probably for the best because it was so weak. Considering one of these eggs was at least 15 days old and it was so weak it didn't pip at all... when I set these eggs I threw everything I had from my favorite hen that was killed by a coyote so I'm lucky to have the ones I do have. They are adorable

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I think, though I could be wrong, but I took it as someone told her that it probably hadn't (would not have had) asborbed the yolk at the time it pipped. I hear a lot of people saying that chicks don't absorb yolk until after they pip and that's what takes so long. While there are times that the yolk isn't absorbed before the external pip or even hatch, in general, on the incubation/chick development timeline, that generally takes place day 19/20, so unless you have early pippers, the occasion that at day 21 there is still unabsorbed yolk, should be few and not the norm.

I run 75% at hatch and often it shoots to 85-90% I don't worry about high unless I see condensation.

Sorry to hear that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by