Hands on hatching and help

I know this is a bit off topic since we dont hatch puppies but i saw this and my heart just melted lol:love
aaawww! They really will brood anything!!!:gig

Well, I think the hatch is done. Two sultans from the good breeder, two from the other which the good breeder tells me may be the way they are because the other breeder recently outcrossed to polish, and two turkey poults. To help beef up my sultan numbers I added a few to my Ideal order that's coming the beginning of next month. I know hatcheries aren't the best on quality but someone's sultan from Ideal actually won a show, so I'm hoping they're decent enough to use to get me started. We'll see.

Well, I think the hatch is done. Two sultans from the good breeder, two from the other which the good breeder tells me may be the way they are because the other breeder recently outcrossed to polish, and two turkey poults. To help beef up my sultan numbers I added a few to my Ideal order that's coming the beginning of next month. I know hatcheries aren't the best on quality but someone's sultan from Ideal actually won a show, so I'm hoping they're decent enough to use to get me started. We'll see.

Oh I want to see pictures. What are the differences between the sultan and the polish? They look so similar to me.. :)

Oh I want to see pictures. What are the differences between the sultan and the polish? They look so similar to me.. :)

Polish have a crest and that's it. Sultans have every extra feature that it's possible for a chicken to have - crest, feathered legs, vulture hocks, an extra toe, muffs, and a beard :)

Glad you got a couple of good quality from your hatch. I actually went through Ideal this year to get some additional self blue Cochins. I have a couple I hatched from a breeder with nice type but couldn't find many others and didn't have good hatches when I did. Like you mentioned, I also didn't expect top quality from a hatchery, but I was curious to see what kind of birds they had. My Ideal birds are now 11 weeks old and are actually looking pretty nice. They have incorrect leg and toe color and aren't great type-wise but I can correct some of those things as I go crossing them with the breeder birds I have. I heard the saying "start with what you have" so that's what I'm doing lol
1f642.png

Hopefully since Ideal has some Sultan stock good enough to win something you may get some pretty nice birds to work with!

Back
Top Bottom