Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. quackshack74

quackshack74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin

Hi, yes last Thursday both eggs looked great, then i checked this one last night & it looks yellow & odd. I posted a picture last night in this thread, another person said it may be a "Sticky " egg. My other egg is nice & pink & i see movement.
    :( i have a bad feeling about this one of course.

2. quackshack74

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin
    Hi, yes last Thursday both eggs looked great, then i checked this one last night & it looks yellow & odd. I posted a picture last night in this thread, another person said it may be a "Sticky " egg. My other egg is nice & pink & i see movement.
    sad.png i have a bad feeling about this one of course.

3. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Unfortunately, that's what my quitters look like. Even those colors don't look right.

4. quackshack74

Jul 30, 2014
    twin lakes Wisconsin

Bummer, well im on day 18, I'll keep itbin there for a bit, & hope the other one keeps going. Thanks

5. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    @ShanandGem are you suggesting she will not get better? then why feed her? & if i did feed her yolk, do i cook it first? fry it or what, ive never done this for a sick chick. excuse my ignorance.

6. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016

If it were me, I wold be tending to her round the clock in the hopes she would improve. Feed yolk raw from a syringe. You really just have to wet the side of their beak and their drinking reflex will take over. It's what their digestive system starts life with and may be easier for her to digest if her system's not fully functional yet. The poop is a good sign though.

7. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    OK, thank you very much.
    one more Q: does it matter if i give her duck or chicken egg yolk. thanks again.

8. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016

I wouldn't think it matters. Sick chicks seem to like being held and cuddled. Just be prepared to be her mother hen forever. lol
    Good luck! I hope she improves

9. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    yes, she does like being held. thanks again

10. EmilyB86

EmilyB86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Hey- I don't know whether to help my ducks. I a hatching call duck eggs and today is the due date- they are all moving and can hear the occasional cheep and they internally pipped about 29-30 hours and their beaks are nowhere near the top of the egg to start internally pipping?! What shall I do? Shall I make a small hole?! Any advice and plans would be amazing !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by