Hands on hatching and help

Unfortunately I don't have the Styrofoam any more but I got an additional thermometer/hydrometer today and my incubator Temps I've been going off of have been a whole 3 degrees too low
1f623.png

Take a folded blanket and place it under the bator.... I also have a towel wrapped around the base to help and in evening I throw a towel over it....but, it's already fall here, temps fall quick.

Take a folded blanket and place it under the bator.... I also have a towel wrapped around the base to help and in evening I throw a towel over it....but, it's already fall here, temps fall quick.

I have a towel on top of it, I should try putting it under it, I also have a heat lamp over the top of it

Last edited:
tossing this bator I hav,e and not hatching except under broodies in the spring until I get a better one results outta 14 were 4 clear, 1 early quitter, and 9 that died day 20-21 waited a few extra days as had a suprise temp drop to 95 instead of temp spikes this time

is this one of the ones you're referring to?

Yes... see below also

Yep. Thats what i got

You might like this too... see below

A tip for those, keep the base inside the bottom square of styrofoam it came in when using them... another member had one and it wouldn't keep steady temp for anything... he pulled out the styrofoam from the box and kept it in it and it stayed steady...

Also, never trust the thermometers or hygrometers that are in any bator... should always have extras to make sure it's correct...
smile.png

I got mine slightly used, so no Styrofoam.

I used this thin HVAC duct wrap stuff. Major improvement! And easy to keep the vent holes open (which I added 3 more around the base, as there was only one originally)

Taped a piece on the bottom also.

Oh, some may like this tip too. Take a Sharpie marker and mark the top of the water wells, makes them much easier to see where to aim the water when necessary!

But.... the heater or thermostat went out on this unit (day 18 of a hatch!) so I don't use it any more.

Awesome!! Yeah, I run a little hotter too and usually get action early but then it drags on till day 22. Please post updates!!
I always hatch at 75%. But that's just what works best for me.
I gotta ask...how do you intercept a package so it does not go through certain hubs??
It's so hard not to candle, isn't it?!? I say if they are local eggs, then candle away!! :D

I will definitely post updates!! :) none had internally pipped as of last night but some were starting to drawdown so I'm excited lol

Yes... see below also

You might like this too... see below

I got mine slightly used, so no Styrofoam.

I used this thin HVAC duct wrap stuff. Major improvement! And easy to keep the vent holes open (which I added 3 more around the base, as there was only one originally)

Taped a piece on the bottom also.

Oh, some may like this tip too. Take a Sharpie marker and mark the top of the water wells, makes them much easier to see where to aim the water when necessary!

But.... the heater or thermostat went out on this unit (day 18 of a hatch!) so I don't use it any more.

Love it! Great ideas.... I am sooo sorry the thermostat went out! That's awful. I keep telling myself I should get a spare thermo in case that happens....

Love it! Great ideas.... I am sooo sorry the thermostat went out! That's awful. I keep telling myself I should get a spare thermo in case that happens....

Thanks. Actually I never figured out for sure what the issue was. The heater would work but not stay hot enough. I did that final hatch by keeping a heat lamp over the top. Spare heating coil, thermostat, and extra fan would all be good to have.

The good news about it going out was I bought Brinseas instead :D

Thanks. Actually I never figured out for sure what the issue was. The heater would work but not stay hot enough. I did that final hatch by keeping a heat lamp over the top. Spare heating coil, thermostat, and extra fan would all be good to have.

The good news about it going out was I bought Brinseas instead
big_smile.png
That's what my nephew's did. The heater just wouldn't heat up to 99.5. I told my sister to put the heating pad under it to finish off the hatch and that helped, but it was a bad investiment. Then what did he do, exactly what I told him not to do....bought the digital Little Giant. I wanted to slap him..lol between the price he paid for the two awful bators he could have had a Hovabator...lol

Back
Top Bottom