Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. EmilyB86

EmilyB86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    I had to help 3 as 2 of them were shrink wrapped and the other one was deformed but is making Good progress!

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So actually you have assisted one third of your hatch..... thus the challenge. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. EmilyB86

Mar 6, 2016
    I gues!

4. EmilyB86

Mar 6, 2016
    How old are ducks when you can tell what colour they are?

5. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    @RubyNala97 check out this little pretty. From my white silkie or my barred bantam cochin hen covered by my blue frizzle bantam cochin roo. They all look alot like this one. 3 blue and 3 black, and it looks like 3 frizzle and 3 smooth. I can't tell the mommas' eggs apart yet, so does this have any silkie look to you? Only 1 has 5 toes (not the one pictured) I was sure hoping I would be able to figure them out, once they hatched, but I guess its going to take more time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    She's a pretty little bit!!!!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She is pretty.

-Kathy

8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I like the frog in the background. :lau

9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

What a cutie! Before I read the whole post I was planning on asking how many toes they had! :) the dark skin and dark beak are definitely silkie qualities. But I'm so bad about knowing what characteristics other breeds have. Do the other potential parents have dark skin too?

X2...this is what I was going to say!! :gig

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Armand is definitely the father. :D blue frizzle bantam cochin. Mom is either white silkie or barred bantam cochin. I haven't been able to pin down who lays which egg and they are very similar looking eggs. The cochins toes are lighter, but their legs are gray, and heavily feathered. I noticed 2 of these chicks have really black legs and feet.

The biggest thing is that I didn't think my cochin hen was laying often until midway thru the incubation, I got eggs from all the girls on the same day, and they are all so similar, I just don't know! Lol

I'm guessing most of them came from silkie eggs, but just got more of the daddy's traits.

Any males produced by the cochin female would be barred, and I haven't noticed any barring yet, but a couple blues sure look masculine.

Oh well I play the waiting game.

And I love the frog too :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by