Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Yes please Kathy. As the reigning queen of quitting duck eggs, I like to know what I'm looking at.... (Knock wood, not this hatch)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Got lots of pictures. :D Even got some from today...

-Kathy

3. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here's the embryo. I Wish I had taken a pic of the candled egg before I broke it but I didn't think of it. You can see those dark black veins in it though. The brown stuff around the side is dirt that was in the bowl before I broke the egg open in it.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    So when they hit that "ugly stage" I bet that looked so funny... LOL, I can only imagine. hahaha when my silkies would hit the ugly stage, OMG, I laugh at them all the time.. First thought is OH MY GOD, what am I going to do with you, no one is going to want you. But the end results is usually a keeper..

5. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Quitter. And I don't like the colors. I say bacteria. And you said odor?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'll get a bunch of them. Got some really interesting ones from two peachicks that hach, but failed to absorb their yolks. One of the chicks lived 41 days before it died. Did you know that by day ten, I think, that the yolk should be completely gone? Only thing left is called the Meckel's diver-something. Got good pictures of that, too.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Excellent picture! What did the inside of the shell look like? Any spots? -Kathy

8. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Me too, I'd love to see them so I know for sure what I am looking at next time. I have a runner duck egg that had that same cloudy look starting up in it. I left it in the incubator for a few more days to see what happens. The veins almost look like they get cloudy or wispy at first and then when you look a couple days later they are gone and everything just looks dark and sloshy inside....

9. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have 6 babies in the house, and they have a heating pad to lay on NO mamma, boy when they get off of it, THEY GET LOUD. makes it a little hard to sleep.. LOL

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  10. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Can u candle that and take a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by