Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't remove eggs after a week and a half (talking chicken) unless they smell or leak. (Unless it's no brainer, obvious.) That late in the game, it's too hard to tell. I'd leve them in until the end. Now, I will say, I am not a duck hatcher, but I have seen many posts on here where new hatchers have asked about dark spots in the egg, or black spots in the egg so I will refer to the duck hatchers to answer what goes on when this happen cause even though I don't get into those posts, I see it frequently.

2. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    That sounds like a quitter. The veins disappear from the membrane first, yolk last. I leave my eggs for quite a long time, to be sure of death. To say wether you saw movement is hard to tell. I would in the future, leave them for several days after you believe they quit, barring smell or seeping. Did you happen to take any pics?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Dark spots before day 24 usually don't end well with my eggs. Usually means bacteria or a broken vein. Next time I see one I'll take some pictures. That said, I don't toss them, I'm like Amy, I leave them unless they smell or ooze.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

X2

-Kathy

5. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Yea it was definitely looking completely different from the rest of the eggs. It didn't stink until I broke it open and then the yolk was pretty stinky. Of course that could be the way all embryos smell since I've never hatched them and smelled them before. It smelled somewhat like a rotten egg but I have definitely smelled eggs way more rotten than this one smelled. Do eggs have that sour smell to them when they incubate???

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

They yolk shouldn't smell.

-Kathy

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That sounds like it was already gone or had the start of something like "mushy chick". I am assuming that ducks too can get Omphalitis. I'd say if it smelled, it was out or on it's way there from bacterial infection.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Ducks sure do get "mushy duckling", got some pictures if anyone wants to see.

-Kathy

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Pics are always educational in my opinion!!!

10. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I don't like the way eggs with embryos smell even when the quit is just hours dead. It smells just earthy to me, not rotten. It generally takes bacteria or several day dead to smell foul. And, if you did open an egg that was in the process of quitting (sounds like so) there would have been nothing to do to save the fetus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by