Hands on hatching and help

@WVduckchick Thank you. There is part of the membrane on the right removed, but the bottom left has oil on it which is why it is a funny colour i think. I think i might need a drink of wine before even thinking about the next step (hoping he just jumps out himself!) I will definitely start at the top if i can - the shell does seem to be covering a lot of his head? Do you think he could hatch himself at this point?

Anything is possible, but I kinda doubt that he would make it out without more assistance. Only because the opening is not quite big enough (its fine for now though), but there's no real way for him to zip off the part that will be in his way. I hope that makes sense. He will start thrashing and trying to make the opening bigger, and he might be able to, but I suspect he will just bash around at the air, and not really break much more off on his own. That's why I said it will help if you remove a little more above and below him, then when he is ready, he will shoot right out.

When you get ready to do it, if you press down gently on his bill, he may stretch his neck out and "untuck" his head from under the little shell cap. If so, then he's close to being ready, and may even kick the bottom of the shell off, right there in your hand. So be prepared! lol If the head comes out and he doesn't kick completely out of the shell, just place him back in the incubator like that, and he will eventually kick the bottom off.

oh my goodness! That sounds really scary! (I am already an emotional wreck!!) I will have a look and see how he is tomorrow - today he is just breathing ( a little shivery at times). I did think that his beak looked a bit funny just now - either cracked or misaligned. Not sure - you can make out a dark little line on the bottom of the picture, but it may be nothing. I'm just going to try and get through the hatch before worrying about a potential beak deformity! I will keep any eye for lots of wriggling then and take that as a cue for a little bit more 'help'.

Is there someone who can help me know if my chick needs help?
It's had a decent size hole for a whole day and her beak is resting at the hole and is opening and closing pretty quickly but it's not trying to break any more shell.

Is there someone who can help me know if my chick needs help?
It's had a decent size hole for a whole day and her beak is resting at the hole and is opening and closing pretty quickly but it's not trying to break any more shell.
Sounds like it's still busy absorbing the yolk! Aslong as it's able to break it'll be fine. Just keep the humidity up and keep an eye on the exposed membrane

I know this is for hatching and helping but I need to share my excitement! My quail eggs have pipped a hole
1f423.png
exactly on day 17 aswell I've never had that!!

I know this is for hatching and helping but I need to share my excitement! My quail eggs have pipped a hole
1f423.png
exactly on day 17 aswell I've never had that!!

:clap we are all about hatching, not just assisting! We celebrate it all! Congrats.

Quail are the cutest to watch zip. They are so much quicker (and more efficient, in my opinion) than chicks and ducks. :D

I think it died :(

So sorry. :hugs

:clap we are all about hatching, not just assisting! We celebrate it all! Congrats.

Quail are the cutest to watch zip. They are so much quicker (and more efficient, in my opinion) than chicks and ducks. :D
So sorry. :hugs
I've got about 5 pips!! I'm trying not to sit and stare to much so keeping myself busy lol. Are they as long as chicks/ducks? Do I need to wait 24 hours aswell? Just incase lol

Back
Top Bottom