Hands on hatching and help

Um, oops....excuse me. I have something I hafta do.
he.gif
gig.gif

Don't worry, I've locked down on day 19 several times if the air cell needed to grow a bit more.

Thanks, guys. Do you suppose Silkie chicks are smart enough to know that I missed the lockdown deadline by 12 hours? I mean, technically it's still day 18, right? Wanna know the kicker? I had LD in big red letters on not one, but three different calendars - all today's date.
lau.gif

Thanks, guys. Do you suppose Silkie chicks are smart enough to know that I missed the lockdown deadline by 12 hours? I mean, technically it's still day 18, right? Wanna know the kicker? I had LD in big red letters on not one, but three different calendars - all today's date.
lau.gif

I won't tell them if you don't.
gig.gif

I have a Muscovy egg in the incubator on day 18 and I'm almost 100% positive that it did.....it is like patches of things inside the egg and looks like clouds are in the egg does anyone know what this mean?

Um, no. Was I supposed to? I had tomorrow as day 19 and lockdown. I don't even wanna HEAR that we got this far and I blew it!!
Most people lockdown day 18....lol But if it makes you feel better my sister used to lockdown at day 19 cause the books said three days before hatch so she figured 19,20,21 makes three days.
wink.png

he.gif
LMAO

I won't tell them if you don't.
gig.gif
Me either.

I have a Muscovy egg in the incubator on day 18 and I'm almost 100% positive that it did.....it is like patches of things inside the egg and looks like clouds are in the egg does anyone know what this mean?
Doesn;t sound good.

Ok, so 5 out, 4 nns and one feather necked. The malpo is still hanging in there, but he has a lot of unabsorbed yolk and it isn't looking good. 2 more external pips and one internal and one egg that is still living (well, actually the chick is), but not doing anything. I don't think it ever turned upright, so it probably won't make it. Looking like possibly 9?? Two I had set aside cause they were quitters and one had internally pipped Monday night. When I candled I could see shadow in the air cell, yesterday when I candled you couldn't see into the air cell at all. It was like the chick pulled down a blind. Last night before bed I tapped on the shell and got no response. Knowing that it was up in the air cell and having everything go black I decided to put a hole in the air cell. I could see the chick so I touched it-no movement. It was a goner so I opened it up. Yellow chick feathered neck. It had pipped into a major vein. Still had the bloody membrane in it's beak and blood going up the nose. The reason I couldn't see into the air cell was the membrane had been covered with blood. So it either internally pipped and bled out or drowned/aspirated on the blood. I hate it when they make it that far and don't make it out. It must have still been heavily veined for it to hit a vein in the internal pip.

he.gif

gig.gif

Ok, so 5 out, 4 nns and one feather necked. The malpo is still hanging in there, but he has a lot of unabsorbed yolk and it isn't looking good. 2 more external pips and one internal and one egg that is still living (well, actually the chick is), but not doing anything. I don't think it ever turned upright, so it probably won't make it. Looking like possibly 9?? Two I had set aside cause they were quitters and one had internally pipped Monday night. When I candled I could see shadow in the air cell, yesterday when I candled you couldn't see into the air cell at all. It was like the chick pulled down a blind. Last night before bed I tapped on the shell and got no response. Knowing that it was up in the air cell and having everything go black I decided to put a hole in the air cell. I could see the chick so I touched it-no movement. It was a goner so I opened it up. Yellow chick feathered neck. It had pipped into a major vein. Still had the bloody membrane in it's beak and blood going up the nose. The reason I couldn't see into the air cell was the membrane had been covered with blood. So it either internally pipped and bled out or drowned/aspirated on the blood. I hate it when they make it that far and don't make it out. It must have still been heavily veined for it to hit a vein in the internal pip.

Sorry about the troubles, but still as good, if not better, than you were thinking a couple of days ago, right?

fl.gif
For the rest!

wee.gif

So my update:
5 bantam cochin eggs set, then another 1 added the next day. All 6 proved fertile, all 6 made "lockdown". 3 have hatched so far, 2 others are pipped, the one that I put in a day later has not pipped yet, but I can see big drawdown when candling through the window, so I am still hopeful for 100%

Haven't gotten any great pics, as I left them in the hatcher and came to work
he.gif

But I did get a couple shots to show that they got their Momma's furry legs!
smile.png

(this chick is NOT dead, I tapped the window after taking this pic to be sure! lol)

gig.gif

Sorry about the troubles, but still as good, if not better, than you were thinking a couple of days ago, right?

fl.gif
For the rest!

wee.gif

So my update:
5 bantam cochin eggs set, then another 1 added the next day. All 6 proved fertile, all 6 made "lockdown". 3 have hatched so far, 2 others are pipped, the one that I put in a day later has not pipped yet, but I can see big drawdown when candling through the window, so I am still hopeful for 100%

Haven't gotten any great pics, as I left them in the hatcher and came to work
he.gif

But I did get a couple shots to show that they got their Momma's furry legs!
smile.png

(this chick is NOT dead, I tapped the window after taking this pic to be sure! lol)

Thanks. I've grown accustomed to having chicks not make it, as cold as that sounds. Don't get me wrong, it's still sad and I still think "if only", but I don't dwell and many times it adds a learning experience. Yeah, it's a bit better than I was thinking a couple days ago.... I was thinking half would be good at that point. These eggs just suck...lol I think both of the quitters are my daughter nn's eggs, and the one that hasn't flipped is as well, so I think the trouble lies with her. She lays a jumbo egg (and she's not a very girl) and they have become increasing more porous. Which is understandable with the size. So I am thinking she lays a good bfast egg, but maybe not such a good hatching egg.

Yay!! I tap a lot too for life...lol Chicks are tricky lil things.

Thanks. I've grown accustomed to having chicks not make it, as cold as that sounds. Don't get me wrong, it's still sad and I still think "if only", but I don't dwell and many times it adds a learning experience. Yeah, it's a bit better than I was thinking a couple days ago.... I was thinking half would be good at that point. These eggs just suck...lol I think both of the quitters are my daughter nn's eggs, and the one that hasn't flipped is as well, so I think the trouble lies with her. She lays a jumbo egg (and she's not a very girl) and they have become increasing more porous. Which is understandable with the size. So I am thinking she lays a good bfast egg, but maybe not such a good hatching egg.

Yay!! I tap a lot too for life...lol Chicks are tricky lil things.
Wish things had turned out differently - you do so much to help other people like me.

And I'm a tapper too, I confess.

Well, I made a quick trip home, thinking I would pull the 3 out and put them in the brooder, but another had hatched since I left this morning, so I left them until that one fluffs up a bit more. #5 has expanded its pip, and #6 and final one has pipped... but on the wrong end. Wayyyy down toward the point, definitely below the air cell, so it may end up being assisted. Good news is that its a good strong pip, full hole, tiny triangular piece broken off, so its got good air.

In other bad news, it looks like the first 3 hatchers may be boys! I'm still holding out until they are fluffed up better, and hoping the white dots that I see are just optical delusions.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom