Hands on hatching and help

Ugh. I think I may have a few eggs with blood rings. They were all developing well I thought yesterday. I'm not sure if I just didn't recognize it at first or if the temp spike messed with them. My new incubator won't be here until tomorrow... all my Ameracaunas look good except 2. I still can't see in the chocolate eggs at all. Not even a little. If they die how long does it take for them to start smelling? Not sure how I will tell if these are good or not?

He/she is in the possession it was in this morning. No scooching around to zip, just sitting there breathing and chepping. I took this pic a couple of hours ago and it hasn't changed at all.
I have no experience so I can't give you very good direction. I've just been studying a book I bought on incubating and hatching. If it has air and you know it can breathe I don't think it will hurt to give it a little longer. It may just need a little break. Best to ask one of the more knowledgeable people here. They can help.you better then me.. :(

Ugh. I think I may have a few eggs with blood rings. They were all developing well I thought yesterday. I'm not sure if I just didn't recognize it at first or if the temp spike messed with them. My new incubator won't be here until tomorrow... all my Ameracaunas look good except 2. I still can't see in the chocolate eggs at all. Not even a little. If they die how long does it take for them to start smelling? Not sure how I will tell if these are good or not?
If the eggs you are concerned about are close to or over the anticipated hatch date, you can try the water test. Put each of the eggs you are concerned about, one at a time, in a bowl of warm water. Wait until the water settles from the disturbance of the egg going in. If there is a live chick in there, you may well see the water wiggle and the egg jiggle a little bit. Now, just because they don't happen to move at that instant doesn't mean they aren't still alive....they could just be resting....but if you do see the wiggle mark the egg and get it back into the incubator before it chills because that little booger is still hanging in there. I don't know how others with more experience feel about the water candling, but since I am pretty doggone new to this whole hatching thing, it's one thing I do try with late and hard to determine hatches.

BE SURE THERE ARE NO TINY LITTLE MISSED PIPS OR CRACKS IN THE EGGS FIRST! Don't wanna drown 'em.

If the eggs you are concerned about are close to or over the anticipated hatch date, you can try the water test.  Put each of the eggs you are concerned about, one at a time, in a bowl of warm water.  Wait until the water settles from the disturbance of the egg going in.  If there is a live chick in there, you may well see the water wiggle and the egg jiggle a little bit.  Now, just because they don't happen to move at that instant doesn't mean they aren't still alive....they could just be resting....but if you do see the wiggle mark the egg and get it back into the incubator before it chills because that little booger is still hanging in there.  I don't know how others with more experience feel about the water candling, but since I am pretty doggone new to this whole hatching thing, it's one thing I do try with late and hard to determine hatches.

BE SURE THERE ARE NO TINY LITTLE MISSED PIPS OR CRACKS IN THE EGGS FIRST!  Don't wanna drown 'em.

We are still early on. About a week. I just don't want an egg explosion mess. I'm afraid if I can't tell it could infect all my others. :(

My first keet is out
big_smile.png

YAY Congrats!
I have a chick that piped over 12 hours ago which I know isnt that long but he/she seems to have stalled out. It had a big slit in the membrain and I was able to see in there that his/her inner membrane is starting to shrinkwrap. He/she is still moving around but making no attempt to hatch. I have been misting all the eggs with warm water but Im starting to get concerned. At what point would you say enought is enough and help?
I don't mess till 18 hours, and then I still end up giving them until 24 usually once I see that everything is ok and the veins are still prominent. I really really really think many people mistake a normal inner membrane as shrink wrapped because it looks like its wrinkly and wrapped around them, (which it is,) but if it's still transparent and the chick can move it's usually not the case. I have a few pics of truely shrinkwrapped chicks, and you can really see the difference. When I first started out I panicked a couple times thinking I saw shrink wrapped (thanks to all the preachers of shrink wrap on here) only to find once I started an assist, it really wasn't.

If you really think it is, you have to do what you feel is right, but take it slow and of there is still veining, stop, moisten the membrane and put it back.

so, when i candled almost 2 days ago, what i saw was a big blob in the air cell. not a beak, i realized later. it wasn't a triangle. but the air cell had a dark mass in it on one side and i assumed it was the chick's body entering the air cell. anyway, i had all the eggs set so that the slope of the air cell was on top. both of these pipped on the bottom, a half inch or higher above the air cell line, straight through the membrane and shell. i have about a ballion thoughts running through my head right now, but the primary one is that this is my fault from day 15 on. i had 4 very healthy eggs and one that i was pretty sure was dead, but i very foolishly (man, that hindsight) decided to try to give that one egg one more shot, and i didn't raise the humidity past 50 until day 19 because nobody had pipped and i wanted to be suuuuure that air cell on that dead chick wasn't going to grow. when i made that choice, i already knew that these 2 had enormous air cells and i dramatically underestimated how much more they would grow in an 18 hour period. i think these two were on their way to proper positioning and ran out of room. though honestly, i can't be totally sure.

what i know more than anything right now is that i need to give a lot more respect to survival of the fittest and not compromise 4 healthy chicks on behalf of one that i already had assumed was dead. i'm super displeased with myself right now.

also, i redid their paper towels so that most of the membrane and opening is covered. everyone is breathing a little easier, though still quickly, beaks are moving around nicely, chirping is still happening. so i figure my job right now is to just keep the membranes from drying out and to wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. they can breathe, they are safe. as much time as i can buy them in the shell without that membrane drying out and sticking to them, the better their odds.
Hatching is a learning experience and we ALL make the wrong decision at some point, especially early on in the learning curve. After lockdown the air cell draws down and it's a significant difference. I've had eggs with perfect air cells drawn down so much after day 18 that they indeed shrink wrapped. We can do everything perfect and still loose some. Always adjust for the majority not the minority, but take what you've learned and add it to your experience points. Many of us try to save them all, it's human nature-well, for some of us.

We are still early on. About a week. I just don't want an egg explosion mess. I'm afraid if I can't tell it could infect all my others.
sad.png
Eggsposions are rare especially later in the hatch (not impossible, just more rare). Usually your eggs that explode have gotten bacteria in them early on and that is the catalyst. (And it's still not really a common thing.) I do NOT generally take anything out after day 10 unless I am 100% that it is a goner. My first hatch I pulled one I thought was, only to find I was wrong and it's heartbreaking to know you single handedly killed a chick because you guessed wrong. So if it doesn't smell or leak, it stays in unless there is no doubt.

YAY Congrats!
I don't mess till 18 hours, and then I still end up giving them until 24 usually once I see that everything is ok and the veins are still prominent.  I really really really think many people mistake a normal inner membrane as shrink wrapped because it looks like its wrinkly and wrapped around them, (which it is,) but if it's still transparent and the chick can move it's usually not the case. I have a few pics of truely shrinkwrapped chicks, and you can really see the difference. When I first started out I panicked a couple times thinking I saw shrink wrapped (thanks to all the preachers of shrink wrap on here) only to find once I started an assist, it really wasn't.

If you really think it is, you have to do what you feel is right, but take it slow and of there is still veining, stop, moisten the membrane and put it back.

Hatching is a learning experience and we ALL make the wrong decision at some point, especially early on in the learning curve. After lockdown the air cell draws down  and it's a significant difference. I've had eggs with perfect air cells drawn down so much after day 18 that they indeed shrink wrapped. We can do everything perfect and still loose some.  Always adjust for the majority not the minority, but take what you've learned and add it to your experience points. Many of us try to save them all, it's human nature-well, for some of us.

Eggsposions are rare especially later in the hatch (not impossible, just more rare). Usually your eggs that explode have gotten bacteria in them early on and that is the catalyst. (And it's still not really a common thing.)  I do NOT generally take anything out after day 10 unless I am 100% that it is a goner. My first hatch I pulled one I thought was, only to find I was wrong and it's heartbreaking to know you single handedly killed a chick because you guessed wrong. So if it doesn't smell or leak, it stays in unless there is no doubt.

Ok thanks that's really reassuring. I'll leave them all in unless I smell or see a leak. I think I'm just to new at this. I for sure see the healthy ones moving but then their are others that look like their veining? I think. Could be behind a little or it died during shipping since they are shipped eggs. I've watched so many youtube videos but most my eggs are chocolate brown or dark green. :(. Guess only time will tell..

I don't mess till 18 hours, and then I still end up giving them until 24 usually once I see that everything is ok and the veins are still prominent. I really really really think many people mistake a normal inner membrane as shrink wrapped because it looks like its wrinkly and wrapped around them, (which it is,) but if it's still transparent and the chick can move it's usually not the case. I have a few pics of truly shrinkwrapped chicks, and you can really see the difference. When I first started out I panicked a couple times thinking I saw shrink wrapped (thanks to all the preachers of shrink wrap on here) only to find once I started an assist, it really wasn't.

He or she is here! I didn't have to assise ether! It went from not doing anything to hatch to hatched in about 10 mins! It actually hatched about 4 mins before another! Thank you so much everyone! Here is a picture of the one I was worried about right after it hatched and a picture of it cuddling with the one it hatched right before in the incubator in my "drying area" lol I don't let them run around free in the incubator for fear of them knocking into the other eggs that have piped already. I have 5 chicks so far since midnight this morning!

well, that leads me to a shrink wrap/sticky chicken question. if the inner membrane is starting to close in around the chick--as in the outer membrane is still attached to the shell, and you can see the inner membrane wrapped around the chick instead of attached to the outer membrane, and the inner membrane is still veiny, clear, and pliable, is that ok? in other words, as long as the chick can slide along the inner membrane and the feathers aren't sticking, is it ok if the membrane is encasing the chick instead of sticking to the side of the egg? is that what the inner membrane is supposed to do as everything dries up?

i think this actually makes it pretty clear ha! you can see the white membrane still stuck to the shell, but the inner membrane is rubbing against the chick's beak. this chick has been just picking away at the shell instead of zipping. it's been pipped for 22 hours. the problem is that there are still veins in that inner membrane. i'm a little concerned that the membrane is closing in around it, but i am not going to touch that membrane with the veins out like that.

Back
Top Bottom