Hands on hatching and help

I'm only asking because the only chick I've lost was one that was very sticky and had swallowed the sticky stuff and it was in his lungs. But he acted very lethargic for days till he passed. Are you going to set more eggs?
I actually have a silkie egg in with my duck eggs right now. But I didn't do it on purpose. Lol. It was an extra egg that slipped under a broody that I did not catch in time. It already had development when I pulled it from under her (her eggs are hatching now) so I couldn't leave it. But I'm monitoring the air cell closely and I have two other incubators I can switch it to if I need to increase the humidity.
Which breeder did you get them from? What colors are they?

I'll find the name later. It's off of eBay. I didn't look into it to much since I'm planning to keep them as pets but they were averted as breeder quality. Their are 6 partridge and 6 buff/red.. :)

Well my peafowl eggs are freaking me out, lol. Two, when weighed for their 21 day weigh in, said by their weight that the humidity was not high enough and it needs to be bumped up. The third, however, is not losing enough weight
barnie.gif
So I went ahead and bumped the humidity for the two that need it and the third I'm going to move into my other Brinsea which I'm running as a dry incubation right now. Sheesh!

On the ducks with chickens front, I do it all the time. Did my welshies in with AC eggs, which are not really that much bigger than silkie eggs. Everyone hatched fine, no humidity issues. I have magpies in with my other eggs right now (some of which are silkies) and the same thing seems to be holding true so far. If you try it though make sure you're watching the air cells and switch some into different incubators if you have to.

I also have turkeys and peafowl in there - I guess this is a game of "how many different species can I incubate at the same time". So far the answer is four
tongue.png

I'm sure you could successfully incubate anything with a shell!
lau.gif

I was thinking more on the lines of a beginning hatcher with only one stable incubator. Not sure I'd recommend it for a first hatch, but I'm chicken-only so what do I know?

Maybe you'll go for five next year? Got any Emu?
gig.gif

I'm sure you could successfully incubate anything with a shell!  :lau

I was thinking more on the lines of a beginning hatcher with only one stable incubator.  Not sure I'd recommend it for a first hatch, but I'm chicken-only so what do I know?

Maybe you'll go for five next year?  Got any Emu? :gig

Lol! Emus are on my agenda :p Next year I'll have chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys to incubate. Probably not peafowl but maybe! So I might get to go for five.

It's funny cause silkies are notorious for being broody....the four I have, one I hatched out in my first successful hatch in 2014, the other 3 I took from my sister the begining of last summer and not a single one has gone broody. As a matter of fact in my first coop, that has my original 8 hens, I've never had one go broody....now, my second coop with all my hatchers from Easter of last year to now, I'm always fighting broodiness from one or two of them at a time and most of them are mixes, save my sspitz and blakc Jap banty that are often broody. And there's 20 hens in there. And I don't want broody hens...lol
I found the same thing to be true of my Buff Orpington. Kept reading what great mothers they are and that they often go broody. Mine's 2.5 and has never shown any inkling of broodiness. My Easter Egger, Agatha, is the same age - not normally known as broody but will. She was broody the first time at 8 months, hatched out and raised a chick (shipped eggs, mangled in shipping so only Scout hatched) and has been broody two more times since. Go figger! I would prefer using a mama hen over an incubator, but at least the Brinsea goes broody when I tell it to!

Lol! Emus are on my agenda :p Next year I'll have chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys to incubate. Probably not peafowl but maybe! So I might get to go for five.

Really hoping those peafowl hatch for you. :fl

Thanks! And I totally forgot guineas! I'll have guineas too. I also have guineas now, which means I am incubating guineas, ducks, chickens, turkeys, and peafowl at the same time. So that's five :D

I found the same thing to be true of my Buff Orpington. Kept reading what great mothers they are and that they often go broody. Mine's 2.5 and has never shown any inkling of broodiness. My Easter Egger, Agatha, is the same age - not normally known as broody but will. She was broody the first time at 8 months, hatched out and raised a chick (shipped eggs, mangled in shipping so only Scout hatched) and has been broody two more times since. Go figger! I would prefer using a mama hen over an incubator, but at least the Brinsea goes broody when I tell it to!

Get you about a dozen of these------then you will be hunting eggs to stick under them if you let them set every time they want!!

Back
Top Bottom