Hands on hatching and help

They are just about to finish day 26 and it happened a day and a half ago.  I wish I had got on here when it happened cos I never knew to try putting something on the cracks to try and keep em from drying out.  They have been in lockdown since it happened with 75% humidity but I can clearly see one of the really smashed ones is shrink wrapping where the point of the egg used to be before getting busted off.  Should I try pulling them out now to seal up the minor ones or is it too late???

If so close to hatch I would use antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the parts where there is exposed membrane to keep them from drying out. Do you have a picture of the eggs?

They are just about to finish day 26 and it happened a day and a half ago.  I wish I had got on here when it happened cos I never knew to try putting something on the cracks to try and keep em from drying out.  They have been in lockdown since it happened with 75% humidity but I can clearly see one of the really smashed ones is shrink wrapping where the point of the egg used to be before getting busted off.  Should I try pulling them out now to seal up the minor ones or is it too late???

Can you post pictures?

Here's one side. You can see the badly damaged one second from the right but most look more like the 3rd from the right. I will try to take another pic from the other side, the pic I did isn't showing up very well.

Heres a better shot of the front view.

It's kinda tough to see all the cracks but you can tell pretty easily that the center one on this is smashed pretty bad.

Did you check to see if they were all still moving/alive? This is going to be a challenge with that many, but I bet you can still save several of them. (as long as the fall itself didn't kill them)

Good luck!

Gosh I bet your so worried. I would put coconut oil on any exposed membrane and just closely watch them. My fingers are crossed maybe they are strong ducks and will get through it
1f91e-1f3fc.png

Did you check to see if they were all still moving/alive? This is going to be a challenge with that many, but I bet you can still save several of them. (as long as the fall itself didn't kill them)

Good luck!

I did right after it happened and most of them were still moving. Only one actually had blood coming out of the exposed membrane but most looked okay. I know they are strong ducks cos we just had a hatch last week that yielded 37 out of 40 that went into lockdown and all of them are strong and healthy. Guess I will see what happens. My humidity is at 75% right now, should I bump it up to 85%???

Too cute! Yes that's fine if you are comfortable with it. People swear they don't hurt the eggs by knocking them around. I personally feel there is a higher risk, but many have no issues. Congrats!
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that's quite a temp difference.

Just want to make sure, is it okay to leave the little guy in the incubator over night? The other one didn't hatch yet and doesn't seem like he will until late tonight. The little baby is staying by the pipped egg as their talking. Should I move him to the brooder all alone? Just don't want him to sleep in the incubator all night if he shouldn't. Also don't want him being lonely in the brooder.

I did right after it happened and most of them were still moving. Only one actually had blood coming out of the exposed membrane but most looked okay. I know they are strong ducks cos we just had a hatch last week that yielded 37 out of 40 that went into lockdown and all of them are strong and healthy. Guess I will see what happens. My humidity is at 75% right now, should I bump it up to 85%???

37 out of 40 is great! What breed of ducks?

I could see a little condensation in your pic, and a little is fine, so I'd think you are good. Crammed that full is going to be hard to monitor them all, and see all around each egg. I'd just suggest watching for membranes starting to turn brown or shrink up. I'll be very curious to see how this goes. I hope you get all 18 of them to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom