Hands on hatching and help

Lol I don't blame you. Recently I've started seeing the bill and webbed feet kicking in the shell when I candle. Its so precious. They feel like my babies already lol. I've hatched ducklings before with success but this is my first time with bantam ducks. They seem to be harder. I had 3 east indie eggs and 3 silkie duck eggs and all quit after a week or so except 1. I have 3 call eggs left thank goodness and 5 Welsh harliquins. They are thriving the best. I always do better with standards. Honestly I'm suprised any made it this far. The shipping was so bad the eggs weren't in good shape. These will be pets not breeders so I feel even more attached then I normally do. We used to have a huge flock of ducks then cut down. I don't want a huge flock again but a good mix will be nice. :)
I haven't had any luck hatching them as you said the shipping can be so bad and it seems duck eggs are more fragile. So you own ducks now? These will be pets also once I hatch a few ducks I will try to stop for a while before I'm overrun with babies lol. Think something is happening the humidity has shot up and there's condensation on the windows! Well I hope something is happening lol

I haven't had any luck hatching them as you said the shipping can be so bad and it seems duck eggs are more fragile. So you own ducks now? These will be pets also once I hatch a few ducks I will try to stop for a while before I'm overrun with babies lol. Think something is happening the humidity has shot up and there's condensation on the windows! Well I hope something is happening lol

Yes I kept two ducks out of my original flock. A special needs ancona drake and a golden 3000 layer. I love both but the golden 3000 has recently become strange and somewhat aggressive. Never had a hen do that before. Just the drakes. We have to new goslings and are working on integration right now. So could be why she is acting off. Someone suggested broody but she lays daily o I don't think so. The condensation from one hatching? If not you will want to bring your humidity down. :)

Went to check on our eggs and saw this little guy in there this morning! Guessing it hatched in the middle of the night. The other one who pipped is still working his way out. The little one in there now moved all the eggs to one side! Is that bad? Also I won't get home again until 7 tonight, is it okay to leave him in there for another 12hrs? I figured he'd be all dry and hopefully his friend would be ready to get moved too.
CONGRATULATIONS on your new little guy! Precious
wee.gif

Hey everyone! One of my chicks has pipped but it looks like it's head is upside down... Is that normal? It pipped at least 14 hours ago and hasn't made any progress since.

Hey everyone! One of my chicks has pipped but it looks like it's head is upside down... Is that normal? It pipped at least 14 hours ago and hasn't made any progress since.

It can take 24 hours for a chick to progress from pip to zip. And yes, a chick is positioned with head under wing beak up, which gives it an upside appearance.

So far we have two babies! Two more look to have internally pipped this afternoon. I candled them to see if anyone made it through two baby ducks moving them around. The one looks normal but the other one looks like there is a yellow stain around the air pouch. Is this okay? He seems like he has his feet in it too as the whole black around the air pouch moves as well. I saw the Beak in the center of the pouch. Also is it okay if they hatch this late? The eggs were collected over a 6 day span but were all set the same day. Nobody started developing before another.

Last edited:
Lost 3 call eggs I was putting water in and quickly candled 3 had no veins or any movement so I put a safety hole in the aircell and just as I thought they were dead. Shame really as two were mid pipping internally and just died. Got one left which is pretty active in there so we shall see I won't hold my breath though I just can't seem to hatch ducks. I have 11 runners and one Aylesbury going into lockdown next weekend so maybe I'll have more luck then
1f614.png

It can take 24 hours for a chick to progress from pip to zip. And yes, a chick is positioned with head under wing beak up, which gives it an upside appearance.
ok! Thank you! I kept doing searches to see what it should look like but couldn't find anyway. I did increase the hole because it seemed like there was a lot of fluid around the beak/nose but I've put it back in the bator.

So far we have two babies! Two more look to have internally pipped this afternoon. I candled them to see if anyone made it through two baby ducks moving them around. The one looks normal but the other one looks like there is a yellow stain around the air pouch. Is this okay? He seems like he has his feet in it too as the whole black around the air pouch moves as well. I saw the Beak in the center of the pouch. Also is it okay if they hatch this late? The eggs were collected over a 6 day span but were all set the same day. Nobody started developing before another.

Congrats. :fl on the others.

Lost 3 call eggs I was putting water in and quickly candled 3 had no veins or any movement so I put a safety hole in the aircell and just as I thought they were dead. Shame really as two were mid pipping internally and just died. Got one left which is pretty active in there so we shall see I won't hold my breath though I just can't seem to hatch ducks. I have 11 runners and one Aylesbury going into lockdown next weekend so maybe I'll have more luck then
1f614.png

Sorry to hear that.

ok! Thank you! I kept doing searches to see what it should look like but couldn't find anyway. I did increase the hole because it seemed like there was a lot of fluid around the beak/nose but I've put it back in the bator.

Was your incubation humidity over 40%?

Positioning and a couple of the malpositioned positions as well.

Congrats. :fl on the others.
Sorry to hear that.
Was your incubation humidity over 40%?

Positioning and a couple of the malpositioned positions as well.
During the first 18 days I tried to keep it around 40% and then from lockdown on in the 70%. I think it's probably in the correct position... I've just never had one be pipped without progressing for so long.

Back
Top Bottom