Hands on hatching and help

Sorry, I missed this before! Any updates?

The 2 eggs I suspected as a double embryos were both single babies. The one hatched at 1:30pm... the other wasn’t making any movements or sounds and was really large...I started to make a safety hole and baby was not in the air sac at all. The chick was not alive :( I did see there was second yolk, but it had absorbed 1 because it wasn’t attached to it. I had a second chick hatch at 6:30pm and 1 that’s pipping and should be zipping soon. The remainder 3 haven’t started

Before they internally pip there's really no reason to make one. They're not breathing at that point, so it won't help them. I don't usually do them before I see an internal pip, unless for some reason I suspect something weird is going on and I want to take a look.
Sorry, I missed this before! Any updates?

So you are saying you had a double yolk and only one developed?
Congrats on the ones that did hatch!
Yes, it was a huge egg, it wasn’t moving or chirping so I thought it may need a little help getting out (it was a dark egg and if by chance it was twins) so I started in the airsac and didn’t see any movement. When I determined it wasn’t alive I opened it all the way up, it was fully developed it had absorbed its yolk, but the other yolk was too big and he couldn’t flip to the air sac. I candled it before and didn’t see it in the airsac.

I love your screen name :gig
LOL thanks!! I have an Instagram account for this duck journey too if any one is interested in following! You can find it @duck_duck_seuss

Since we are (hopefully) going to have 3, my daughter helped me name them: “thing 1” “thing 2” and “doctor” :love
It has been 24 hours since the one egg named Doctor has internal pipped... it has a safety hole and is still wiggling occasionally but not very much, not very strong... should I be worried?

I am stressing- Ugh! The one egg that internally pipped has made zero progress and it’s been over 24 hours. Should I make the safety hole a bit bigger and take a look inside? The other two still have not internally pipped but are making micro-movements...

I am stressing- Ugh! The one egg that internally pipped has made zero progress and it’s been over 24 hours. Should I make the safety hole a bit bigger and take a look inside? The other two still have not internally pipped but are making micro-movements...

How long after internal pip did you do the safe hole? What breed is it?

You could widen it, but now that it already has a hole, it’s got air to breathe, so it *should* be ok. You did the pip for it, so it doesn’t really have to pip for itself. It may not do much until it’s ready to zip, which could be another 24+ hours.

How long after internal pip did you do the safe hole? What breed is it?

You could widen it, but now that it already has a hole, it’s got air to breathe, so it *should* be ok. You did the pip for it, so it doesn’t really have to pip for itself. It may not do much until it’s ready to zip, which could be another 24+ hours.
I did the safety hole pip probably just under 6 hours after internal pip- I was getting ready to go to bed but was paranoid to do so without giving it a safety hole. Hopefully I didn’t screw anything up! The hole was tiny and I mean tiny, smaller than a thumbtack would’ve made (like half the size.)
Before I read your reply I went into the steamy bathroom and widened the hole but only to about the full size of the tip of a thumbtack. I used a flashlight to try to look inside but couldn’t really see anything. I heard consistent tapping but still haven’t heard any chirping whatsoever.

I did the safety hole pip probably just under 6 hours after internal pip- I was getting ready to go to bed but was paranoid to do so without giving it a safety hole. Hopefully I didn’t screw anything up! The hole was tiny and I mean tiny, smaller than a thumbtack would’ve made (like half the size.)
Before I read your reply I went into the steamy bathroom and widened the hole but only to about the full size of the tip of a thumbtack. I used a flashlight to try to look inside but couldn’t really see anything. I heard consistent tapping but still haven’t heard any chirping whatsoever.

That’s fine! Sometimes it’s necessary just to calm our own selves down. You know it’s still alive. :D

I currently have seramas hatching. Just pulled the first 4 to the brooder.
ADE9A5C1-C582-4B4A-8AC4-40CCA13A0856.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom