Hands on hatching and help

Good evening everyone I’m not sure if someone can help me out. This is my first time hatching ducks eggs, they started lockdown yesterday today is day 26 1 of my eggs has already externally pipped sometime through out the night (saw it first thing this morning when I woke up) and another I THOUGHT internally pipped last night so gave it around 18 hours before I did a tiny “safety hole” for him today and placed him back in the incubator but now when I’m looking inside the hole it appears all white so I’m afraid he never internally pipped did I put him in danger? The humidity is holding at around 65-70% and there appears to still be movement in the egg.

Good evening everyone I’m not sure if someone can help me out. This is my first time hatching ducks eggs, they started lockdown yesterday today is day 26 1 of my eggs has already externally pipped sometime through out the night (saw it first thing this morning when I woke up) and another I THOUGHT internally pipped last night so gave it around 18 hours before I did a tiny “safety hole” for him today and placed him back in the incubator but now when I’m looking inside the hole it appears all white so I’m afraid he never internally pipped did I put him in danger? The humidity is holding at around 65-70% and there appears to still be movement in the egg.

A small safety hole should not have hurt, even if he wasn't internally pipped yet. How are things going now?

Do not cull like this. It's not your fault you were told this so don't think I'm annoyed at you or anything, I just want to clear this up.

This is a really horrible way to cull. Doing it like this causes the chick to suffocate to death via carbon dioxide poisoning.

The main driving force that makes animals want to take a breath of air is carbon dioxide buildup. So when you really want to take a breath it's because your body senses you have built up carbon dioxide.

So the chick's body will be telling it that it's suffocating and needs to breathe, and it will gasp for breath trying to lower that buildup, which it will not be able to. It's a horrible way to die.

If you want to cull like this, there is a method that replaces the baking soda and vinegar with Ether, which you can buy in the form if starter fluid. Using that will just slowly put the chick to sleep. It will nod off and die peacefully, having no idea that it's dying. So use ether if you want to cull this way, not baking soda and vinegar.

If you don't think you can't cull that way I was giving great advice on here when I had to cull. Basically you get a sealed tub or jar and then get a small cup put a few spoonfuls of baking soda in and a few spoonfuls of vinegar until it starts to froth up. Quickly pop the chick in there and seal tight. The froth gives off gases which will make the chick unconscious in a matter of seconds and then it will pass away. I put a towel over it as I didn't want to watch it die but I found that better for myself. Hope this helps
That is horrid!

Is there anyone on here that can ease my mind today
I have 6 eggs going a few dats apart. 2 incubators set up one to move for lockdown
My oldest egg day 26 I could see it internally pipped yesterday. This morning I could hear a faint peep but no external pip I can hear it trying but it’s at the lower end of the air sac not up at the higher end. I had to move egg day 25 into lockdown at lunch so I turned on the shower in bathroom to heat up the room and get humidity higher so I could safely do this without harming the other egg. I was able to look it over and it’s breathing was weird compared to yesterday on lockdown. I decided since it had been 24 hours of internal I should make a small safety hole
Luckily I didn’t hit anything and humidity in the bathroom was very high as was heat so no harm to baby. I put it back in the incubator
My worry is this baby is still on the lower end of air cell and not further up. Could this be an oddly positioned baby ? How long should I wait to see external pip before trying to help if needed - 24-36 hours from time of safety hole?
This egg is very tiny compared to my others
This egg started at 61 grams and is now at 53
It’s a cross of Pekin mom and khaki Campbell dad. My other eggs are larger starting around 68-69 grams

This is my first hatch. The hen hatched 6 and got up off nest. So I scooped up the remaining 3 eggs and put in incubator (Little giant) still air. Two have successfully hatched a day apart. Today the last egg I heard chirping but no external pip at noon. It appears to have pipped internally (From what I can see) the size of the air sack has decreased.? So it has been 7 hours and no external pip. It will chirp if I play YouTube chick sounds. But other than that when I stop goes quiet. Not sure if I should put a screw hole in or not? I don't want to lose the chick. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I would put an air hole in the egg, You have nothing to lose at this point. See if it starts to zip. Assuming you are not getting blood, you may need to help it. Is it the same age as the other eggs?
Not sure because she was laying on different eggs? They have been hatching about 24 hours apart up till now. The two others are doing great! I will try and figure out how to post a new post lol

Back
Top Bottom