Happiness is not having what you want

I would be so darn grateful if i could get this darn migraine to go away
hit.gif

I am more grateful and thankful than you will ever know that my dad is still with us this Christmas. Back in the spring he was diagnosed with lymphoma and then pancreatic cancer. Thankfully the pancreatic diagnosis was wrong and Dad responded very well to chemo. He is officially in remission and back to his normal self. It was a terrifying period and one that made my heart hurt more than I thought it could hurt. I realize that life being what it is, at some point I will lose my parents. I'm just not ready for it now.

Thanks be to God for answers to prayers whispered at night when we are scared little children.

Quote:
You missed one thing...... and the good you can provide for others.

Make somebody laugh or smile today, wave at your creepy neighbor on the way home
smile.png

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Steve
you guys can wave at me anytime......and I'm only semi creepy

Quote:
lol.png
I always wonder about that, the idea that money/fame/etc. doesn't make people happy.

It makes ME happy. Happy as a clam on Ipswich Beach in August.
tongue.png
I've been poor. I worked my behind off, and became reasonably middle-class. Having enough money to buy whatever you like in the grocery store, enough money to live in a very safe neighborhood with decent neighbors, that makes me really happy. I remember when DH and I relied on his income, and if our crummy old car broke down and cost more than $200 to fix, it was economic ruin and homelessness because his job wouldn't tolerate lateness or days off for transportation issues, and there was no bus to take, too far to bicycle. The area we lived in had so much unemployment that there weren't any other jobs, really--DH's lousy employer was actually considered one of the good ones! Believe me, my first real job out of college, after I got my first serious paycheck, the feeling of being able to buy ANYTHING in the whole grocery store was glorious. So I guess I am grateful for that, although I'd have to be grateful to the alumni donors for coughing up scholarship money.

Money definitely leads to happiness in certain amounts. You've got to have at least the bottom 2/5 of Maslow's Hierarchy taken care of.

Anyway, I am most happy when I am doing something, creating something, building something that I want, but does not exist yet! I don't think happiness can be so easily classified or described.

What makes you most happy? Puppies? Kittens? Beer?

OOh I never said anything about money. Simply that wanting what you have makes you happy. It's gratitude.

When you spend your life grasping for what you don't have you tend to forget what you do have. I somehow doubt that you are like that.

So enjoy your perks. You worked for them.

Back
Top Bottom