Happy 4th of July to Us....Dodging Bullets in Georgia

I think speckledhen means South Carolina; the only fireworks that are legal to sell or own in NC are sparklers and the kind that sit on the ground. Any that shoot up or move in any way are illegal here, too. You'd have to be really clueless to accidentally start a fire with something that is sitting just a few feet away from you - but come to think of it, I have known some people who probably could manage it.
th.gif

Somebody nearly shot me in my own yard, once. I was on a path along the edge of my property, and I heard a gunshot simultaneously as something small went ripping through some foliage a few feet to my left. I yelled, and heard a couple of young voices react in shock. They were maybe 100, 150 feet from where I was, but the woods around here are so dense, they couldn't see me (they call it poquoson). When I got to the spot where they were, I saw 2 boys, maybe 12 years old, hightailing it in the other direction. They were so spooked, they left the .22 behind (makes me wonder who the gun belonged to!) I don't know which of us were luckier that my guardian angel was on duty that day!

I may be mistaken about NC, but I see the fireworks tent in the Walmart parking lot in Murphy this time of year and you don't see those here in GA at all. Not sure what types they are selling.

I don't know all the types of fireworks, but I do know the sparklers that little kids could hold-my dad always got those for us when we were little, but honestly, I hate fireworks and all sorts of sudden, loud noises, even balloons. I would beg not to go to Stone Mountain Park every July for the show, but they always made me.

You were very lucky, just like we were today! So were those boys. One accident like that can ruin several lives and you can't take those back.

The woods we are logging had trails my DH cut for me to walk and I did all the time, before I broke my ankle. I would wear my "Don't Shoot Me" shirt, a three button bright orange huge men's T-shirt that no one could miss, but that bullet came from so far away, it would have been impossible for them to see anything up here. The kid was just dumb as a rock today. He can shoot squirrels with a pellet gun, as my DH does.

Last edited:
I like a shotgun for anything where I dont have a known backstop.

AL sells fireworks at the state line too.

As a trained firemen, forestry firemen an first responder I think the law banning fireworks is stupid. But then we live in a state that made it a $25K fine to burn a piece of paper...

Since dusk it has sounded like a war zone here Gunshots and fireworks from every direction. Hopefully all eyes, limbs. and fingers will remain intact. The emergency rooms will be busy. My two dogs who hate fireworks have given up on barking and are cowering in their pens in abject fear. This is the part of July 4th that I despise.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom