happy hatchings

lpguy

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
hello all,
i first started trying to hatch eggs during the end of the last school season.
my first incubator i actually got of a web site that i choose not to mention.
i actually paid about twice what i could have gotten it in a local store, but
that is due to the payment agreement with that web site. it was a little giant 9300.
i tried 2 different batches from different sources and had only 1 hatch the second one
pipped but didn't hatch. for heat at this time i had a clamp lamp with a regular bulb.
"charlie" passed away 3 days later. that is the bad news.

now for the good news. we picked up the hovabator genesis 1588 and now have a small
flock of 9 mixed breeds of chickens. the other 3 still haven't pipped yet. i will add pics at a later time.
we have two black and white ones, one of which i held and it has a "ridge" along the top of it's beak.
one is a golden color of which has started to change slightly. the other 6 were solid yellow,
but they to are changing colors. one has a small black patch starting and they all are starting to get a bit of
white to them.

my source had said some were i believe white longhorns. i cant remember what the others were.
for heat i actually built a "H" type system using high heat capable plastic and a "zoo med" tank heater.
cost about $38.00 if i remember. i also have a clamp light with a standard light above it.

i wasn't sure how to sex them at the moment of hatching but it is now about a week after hatching.
is there still a way to sex them at this point? as mentioned i will attach in another posting here the pics i have
at this time.

Just a few of the babies sorry it took so long to post it.

I have a question as to how to sanitize my incubator. Was just wondering since I am really wanting to keep hatching for the excitement of watching them hatch and grow. Was told diluted bleach but wasn't sure.

Ok thank you. Wasn't sure if bleach was safe on Styrofoam, or for the baby chickens.

Back
Top Bottom