Harbor Freight Tools???

I have boys who leave their toys laying around so for me to spend $100 bucks on a tool that they may not have a clue were they laid it last is a no go for me. I have had a son get shot by a sledge hammer that was a USA product; so that is why they ask for safety for everyone to wear safety glasses when using tools...not just ones made in China. The metal even after surgery is still in his arm. I personally like the store and like the return and warranty policies they have. If it does not work right you take it back they don't ask you tons of questions and you don't have to fill out tons of forms just get another and your on your way. We have two water pumps from them and with our farm need them to work correctly so far they are doing good. I do have a warranty on them just in case

Well as has already been said here "you get what you pay for". Yes if you are using the tools daily to make a living think twice BUT if you are using tools once in a while they are great for the most part.

ALSO KEEP THIS IN MIND. At the HFT store closest to me (Lacey WA) if you take a mail flyer or print an online ad they will honor it. The store price is not always the same as flyer or online.
I don't know if other stores do this but give it a try.

Quote:
Yep, and you should be happy to pay for American made products. Wake up and smell the coffee. That is exactly the attitude the Communist Chinese wants you to have.

what it comes right down to for some people is the great american economy, I cant afford to pay $100 for something I can get some where else for $50

As was said I cannot afford to pay 100 for something I can get for 50. I understand the whole buy American philosophy but in reality I cannot afford to pay the extra. So tell me who needs to smell the coffee?

Yep I understand. Money is money, and times can get tight. No disrespect intended. I know about tough times.

I lived on generic macaroni and cheese (4 boxes for a buck) when I was in college. Splurged by mixing in hot dogs, when I could. Hunted rabbits for a real special dinner, when I could afford a box of shells. Hitch hiked to college for 3 months because my truck lost a bearing, and had no money to fix it. Heated with a wood stove for years, not by choice.

I just hate Chinese junk- from lead in the paint that they use on kids toys to mixing ethylene glycol in cough syrup to sweeten it up, while kids overseas died. I do anything I can to avoid their chit.

I do 2 things when I purchase stuff.

#1) Wait until I have the money to get what I really want, even if that means putting off the purchase for quite some time.

#2) While I am saving the cash, look for used high quality equipment (what I usually do). I picked up a $700.00 table saw yesterday for $250.00. It looked almost new, and it will give me a lifetime of use.

Quote:
I agree with will. About the only time I'll purchase at Harbor is when I need a specific tool for a specific job and don't expect to use the tool for more than that job as I have little to no confidence in the quality of the product.

Most tools I purchase I expect to, and history proved out, use a lot over an extended period of time. When I first started buying tools I went the inexpensive route and found the tools did not last and were not precise. After replacing the same tool more than once I changed to better quality tools and am much happier with the results.

Making that change meant being more patient to save the money needed or find a better deal but in the end the results were much better. I've had excellent experiences using both eBay and Craigslist to acquire better quality tools at fantastic prices.

Just my opinion and experience YMMV

Last edited:
Quote:
what it comes right down to for some people is the great american economy, I cant afford to pay $100 for something I can get some where else for $50

As was said I cannot afford to pay 100 for something I can get for 50. I understand the whole buy American philosophy but in reality I cannot afford to pay the extra. So tell me who needs to smell the coffee?

I'm an Aircraft mechanic. I make my living with my tools and sometimes they aren't the regular home and guarden variety. Examples....I have a spark proof tool set made of a copper-beryllium alloy. A flame proof flashlight. I also have the standard "mechanic's set". Not because I wanted them but because I had to have them to do my job. In my exp as a wrench turner I can tell you that paying $50 bucks may sound cheap, but like the quote above, you get what you pay for. Cheap tools break. How much is it going to cost you the next time you buy it? Another $50. Plus the travel, gas and trouble to go get another tool. Using your example that is over the price of buying the well made tool only once. Please don't get me wrong. I do like HFT. Sometimes they have the stuff I just can't find or have to wait to get by mail and sometimes I just can't wait. It has taken me since 1988 to get my tools to the point where I'm not "looking" for more tools. I could never afford to be a "all snapon or nothing" kind of person. I simply use good quality and I can tell you I have a total of 2 tools made in china.
I just wanted to present another point of view from someone who makes their living with their own tools. If it's a backyard project and your tools do not get the kind of use some of us put our tools thru, by all means go to HFT. If it's a tool you're child may be handeling and working with when it breaks....don't. One last thing. Please be safe. A pair of saftey glasses goes a long way to keeping you enjoying your new coop.
smile.png

Jason

And for those who want to buy American made products ...don't go to Wal-mart and happy hunting.... things made in the US are become a rare thing .....Craftsman still gets well.......lost around here.. So for me buying at HF and knowing if they loose it I will not "loose it"..which I have many a time over expensive items left unattended in the yard.
I second the safety glasses thing....wood pieces flying from your saw goes straight for unprotected eyes and you only get a pair of those for lifetime use.

Not to be overtly negative, but carefully inspect what you buy there. I've found that for occaisional use (2-3 times a year) their tools are acceptable, if a bit rough around the edges. But when I'm looking for something that I want to last, I avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. I've borrowed more than enough of their stuff from my neighbor and I've constantly been disapointed . . . with their power tools, especially. They often use more plastic than is advisable, the finishes are rougher, and it's nearly impossible to sharpen/adjust/lubricate/repair what you buy from them. That being said, if you're looking for a minor household tool that you'll only use now and then, and precision and effectiveness aren't your main concerns, then HF is fine. Otherwise, spend the few extra $$ and get a quality tool.

Interesting discussion... My DH and I get their ads once every few weeks, but we've never stopped in.

On a side note, looks like the "buy American vs. buy something else" debate has died down. Let's please keep it that way so that you don't otherwise get a good thread locked.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom