hard boiled eggs that are hard to peel!

Quote:
you dont have to apologise(sp?) silly!..
hugs.gif
..as for deviled eggs!..YUM!..try allrecipes.com...do a search there..they are very good!

EmilyAnn,
It may be an American thing, and different people make them different ways.
Me personally, I boil the eggs for about 10 minutes or so, cool and peel. After all the eggs are peeled, I cut them in half, length wise. I dump all the yellow into a bowl. I mash them up with a fork, add salt and pepper to taste. I dice celery and onion. I use about one celery stalk ane one small onion per dozen eggs. Then add mayonaise and mix. I only put in about 1 teaspoon of mayo at a time and mix until the egg yellow mixture is creamy looking. You can also add sweet pickle cubes if you like them. I don't. Then you spoon mixture back into the egg white hole where the yellow was. It will usually more than fill up the hole. Serve just like that, or sprinkle paprika over the top for color. ENJOY!

I have had fresh eggs in the fridge for a month or two an they still seem to be impossible to peel. I was just thinking the other day that one possible reason that store bought eggs peel better is due to the washing they receive along with sitting in storage time. What do you all think? I would try it but no longer have access to fresh eggs and my girls are a few months from laying.

Tweeza

My basic mayo recipe calls for:

1 egg
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vinegar
1T water
1 c veg oil

Basic method: Blend everything except 3/4 c of the oil in a blender or food processor or with a strong arm and a wire whisk. Add the remaining oil in a steady but light stream with blender on.

Do not over-process or it will break down. This amount will make about 1 1/3 cup, maybe? I store it in a glass pb jar.

For my zippy mayo, I double all the spices and also add 1/2 tsp black pepper. I use 2 Tbsp vinegar and no water.

For a yummy salad dressing, whisk together 1/2 c zippy mayo with 1/2 c sour cream and 1/4 c parmesan or romano cheese. Makes a yummy veggie dip, or for a thinner dressing for salad, add a little water or milk until desired consistancy.

droolin.gif

My deviled eggs are a bit different. I do the same with the eggs (boil, slice lengthwise, dump out yolks) mash yolks. Add salt, black pepper, bottled mustard, a touch of garlic powder, and dill relish. Mix in mayo until desired consistency. Fill eggs (I use a frosting bag when I want them pretty) and sprinkle with paprika.

Once you try deviled eggs (no matter how you make them) prepare to become addicted. My kids and I could eat them all day!!!! Oh, and they smell absolutely HORRID in the fridge!!!! LOL

definately going to make some of these devilled eggs! thanks crew for the tips!

My Results!

I boiled up three batches of water, one with a big whack of salt, one with a splash of vinegar and one with some bicarb soda. After boiling them, I strained out the hot water and ran cold water over them until they were cooled. Then I peeled them under a slow running tap. The eggs I used are 48 hours old at the most.

The vinegar eggs didnt peel much easier, and the brown from the shells went all weird as though they had been badly painted! so 2 out of 10 for the vinegar from me

The bicarb made the shells feel odd, but not in a bad way. They peeled quite well, definately an improvement. 6 out of 10 from me for bi carb.

The salt was the winner IMHO, I dumped about a tablespoon or so into the pot with the eggs, and out of 6 eggs only one of them was tricky to peel and this was the first one so maybe it wasnt as cool as the subsequent ones. So a big whack of salt in the pot scores a 9 out of ten from me and will be the way I go about hard boiling my eggs from now on!

I didnt do the oil, simply because I am a lazy little cow and couldnt be bothered having to clean up an oily pot at the end of it all!
tongue.png

I have tried everything and found the best way to peel an egg is to keep some in the fridge for several days ( a couple of weeks or more the better). After I boil them I plunge them in ice cold water. Works every time for me.

emilyann
That is very interesting. Good for you for doing the experiment! I will have to try that the next time I boil fresh eggs. Thanks for the interesting posts!
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom